SaltCritters.com

Royal Gramma factoid

bneyman

I always wondered why my royal gramma would swim lopsided, sort of at an angle. I thought there might be something wrong with him, but he would swim at one angle, then later he would be swimming at another angle, completely opposite. Hmmmm.

???

Went to the bookstore the other day and bought a couple books and a magazine about marine tanks and inhabitants. Lo and behold, there was some info on types of fish, the royal gramma being one. It informed me they swim this way because like most other cave-dwelling basslets, they swim with their belly facing the nearest surface! :P I was totally amazed at this tiny piece of info! B)

I'm going to start buying more reefking books....;)

Originally posted by gullmo

While we are at it a duck's quack does not echo.

Mythbusters just disproved this. The echo of a ducks quack is lost in the sound of the quack itself, but there is an echo.

Hey bneyman,

It's actually pretty neat to see them do this. My lfs told me that fact and I didn't believe them because I had kept a royal gramma that never did this. But then I went diving in a reef and swam down deep to a cave and there was a school of them swimming updside down just under a ledge. It was pretty cool. I wish they would do that in my tank.

Ralph

Archived