inTank Media Baskets

Jae's 34Gal Solana

jae4571

Great tank.

Personally I don't think you should invest in a DSLR just for the tank. I've had one for about two years and I love it but I don't think it's a replacement to a P&S. They just aren't portable enough IMO. Those shots you got with the camera you have above look great. I'd use that money on coral or something!

Really like the new scape too.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Well I got a Derasa Clam today at one of my LFS. I paid $32 +tax. Thought that was a pretty sweet deal! The clam expanded his mantle fully while acclimating! I then placed him on the sand bed cleaned the outside of my glass with some windex so I could get a nice picture and within that 45sec-1 min he was back out again. I will take some better pictures with my camera later these are just cellphone pics. Let me know if you think I got a good deal.

Acclimating:

IMAG0009.jpg

Immediately placed in tank:

IMAG0010.jpg

And here's a picture of my zoa garden with a new addition (upper left corner)

IMAG0012.jpg

So I found some time to take some pics of my new clam. The photo's don't do it justice. The colors are mush more vibrant in person. I am also contemplating building my own DIY media rack for the second chamber. I was contemplating waiting for StevieT to get the Solana media rack finished but am unsure when that is going to be. I picked up some scrap pieces of acrylic today and am going to mess around with it over the next few days. We have family getting into town on Monday (12/13) so needless to sy my honey do list is quite long so I'm not sure when the mdeia rack will be completed.

DSC05633.jpg

DSC05632.jpg

DSC05630.jpg

DSC05628.jpg

DSC05625.jpg

DSC05624.jpg

DSC05618.jpg

DSC05621.jpg

Great pics!

On your media rack, you could always to a quick ghetto style rack made from egg crate and zip ties. I think d'Esspresso has a pic somewhere of one. I built one for my Solana and it works pretty well. I have purigen, chemi-pure elite, and chaeto in the rack and all seems well so far. I put a zip tie in the center on the top rack so I can pull it out easily.

• 3 weeks later...

Your tank looks great, how did u mount that top on the tank, I wanna make one but need to know how u mounted it, or just does it sit on top somehow.

While reading thru your thread I had noticed you said you had wiped your glass with windex, your going to want to stop doing that. Over time small amounts of chemicals will seep into the glass and can cause some serious problems. Once or twice is ok but refrain from doing that again. Get a clean spray bottle from a dollar store put in a couple spoons of vinegar and fill water, shake and your good to go. Try not to get any in the tank (obv) it does a great job cleaning creep. If your still afraid to do that just use some tap water. Just wanting to chime in and help a fellow reefer out. B)

Your tank looks great, how did u mount that top on the tank, I wanna make one but need to know how u mounted it, or just does it sit on top somehow.

Bruce thank you got the compliment. The frame if just picture frame molding that I mitered together on three sides. I then used two eye bolts on the back and ran some fishing line through them to keep the sides taught. The reason I did this versus have a disused frame is this allowed me to have all my per cords fit better running down the back. I'm currently out of town but will post some picturesfor you when I return home. I really wanted to purchase the trim kit got the tank but was not willing to spend $90.

While reading thru your thread I had noticed you said you had wiped your glass with windex, your going to want to stop doing that. Over time small amounts of chemicals will seep into the glass and can cause some serious problems. Once or twice is ok but refrain from doing that again. Get a clean spray bottle from a dollar store put in a couple spoons of vinegar and fill water, shake and your good to go. Try not to get any in the tank (obv) it does a great job cleaning creep. If your still afraid to do that just use some tap water. Just wanting to chime in and help a fellow reefer out. B)

Enjoij5..thank you for the comment. I was unaware that glass is porous.

• 2 months later...

I moved my tank last week and rescaped. Ill try to post some new pics tomorrow. Everything is doing very well! I'm contemplating buying a maxima clam and some more chalices inj the up coming weeks.

Brewed a batch of beer on Monday night as well. So all in all i've been having a pretty kick ass week!

Here are the photos as promised

DSC05929-1.jpg

DSC05933.jpg

DSC05934.jpg

DSC05935.jpg

DSC05936.jpg

DSC05937.jpg

DSC05938.jpg

Heres the tank in its new location still a little cloudy right after the move

DSC05939.jpg

DSC05942.jpg

DSC05940.jpg

Heres the tank the next cleared up with the new scape

DSC05947.jpg

DSC05949.jpg

DSC05952.jpg

DSC05953.jpg

DSC05963.jpg

DSC05961.jpg

DSC05959.jpg

I got a little bit of a diatom bloom from the move as I really cleaned the sand out well but it has since cleared. The move took around 7hours from start to finish and I took the time to clean and maintenance the pumps and skimmer. I really enjoy having the tank in the living room! I can enjoy much better in there versus the dinning room.

• 4 weeks later...

I just bought a maxima clam today for $29.99! Its currently acclimating to the tank.I'll post pictures sometime tomorrow.

I enoyed reading your thread and watching the tank progress! I have the nova extreme pro also and am looking for LEDs, thanks for the eBay link!

Archived