Top Shelf Aquatics

28 gallon fish

Chyendra

Ok, do you think this would be pushing it?

It's going to be a 28 gallon bowfront reef (24"X21"X18" i think) with 10 gallon sump/refugiem w/ macro

very shallow sand bed <1" and about 40lbs LR in tank, and at least 10lbs LR in sump.

This is what i'm planning for inverts

40+ snails

2 emerald crabs

2 Porcelain crabs

1 skunk cleaner

Fish: This is what i really want, but i'm not sure if i can have them all.

1 cinnamon clown

1 yellow citron goby

1 royal gramma (or purple fire fish)

1 neon goby

1 green chromis

would this be safe? if i made my sump bigger (i have a 29 gallon i could use) would the added water volume make it possiable?

I'm just in the planning stages, thanks!

With a good skimmer, weekly 3-5 gallon water changes, and slow additions I would say it is safe to add even more fish. your system is almost 40 gallons.

with that said it would be safe to:

1 cinnamon clown

1 yellow citron goby

1 royal gramma and 1 purple fire fish

1 neon goby

3 green chromis

Just don't expect to be lazy on water changes and add fish slowly.

I prefer a light fish load however as it is easier to maintain water quality.

Nice, and I like the stock. It'll be a nice community.

Is there a decent LFS in Traverse City? Man, I didn't think that there was anything north of Lansing/Grand Rapids.

No there isn't many LFS in TC, Not that i've found at least. Fins and Ferns was nice, but they closed last year. I think this lady that does dog grooming has started carrying saltwater, but i haven't looked into it. There is a guy that deals saltwater out of his basement, it's called Reef Concepts. I'll probably try to get my live stock from him when i'm ready, but most will probably have to be from the internet :(

I don't have the best skimmer, but i bought it already (last year when i wasn't sure what i was doing)

it's a 250 skilter filter. I've taken out all the filter media, and dropped a limewood airstone in the channel for more bubbles.

I can keep up with water changes. I have 5 freshwater aquariums right now, and it seems i'm always doing water changes :) but i'll be downsizeing to just 2 freshies before i set up my reef tank.

as far as the order of fish, I'm thinking the clown should probably go last. Do you think the green chromises would be first? or should it be something small like the neon goby?

I'm really excited. I've been planning this tank for almost a year, and i finally have the time and then money to begin setting it up. I've been trying to plan out every detail so i wont be makeing impluse buys.

thanks alot!

I'd do the neon goby and the citron goby first. They're the smallest and they'll need the time to establish and maybe grow a bit. Then the purple firefish. They can be touchy if they have competition when they establish, but I wouldn't consider the gobies competition. Then perhaps the chromis, then the gramma and the clown last since he'll be the most pushy.

Sounds really nice, good luck.

B

i'm so excited that i'll be able to safely keep more fish then i originally thought. I know it won't be for a long time still... but i'm still excited.

Archived