inTank Media Baskets

New 20G - will be updated montly

trupel

Hi All,

I'd just started my 20G and would like to share the progress with you guys. I will be posting up updates every month.

My Current Setup Includes:

Equipment

20G (24x12x12)

1 x 20W NO Flouro - Will be upgrading to 55W PC and 20W Atinic Soon!

1x Hagen Aquaclear 500 HOB Filter - To be converted to Fuge (when I can be bothered)

1x Eheim HOB filter for flow and temp assistance (salvaged from my FW setup)

1x 50W Tetra Heater

1x 700lph Powerhead

25LB Live Rock

25LB Live Sand (2"-3" sea bed)

Livestock:

Not much at the moment, but will be stocking with some fish tomorrow and when I get my lights some yummy corals

1x Turbo Snail

1x LR Hitchhiker Crab

23/12/2003

This is the the Tank with the live sand which was donated to me.

20031223%20First%20Tank.jpg

24/12/2003

This is the Live rock I have added afterwards

20031224%20Live%20Rock.jpg

ninhsavestheday

why do you have 2 hob?

ditch the tetra heater. they suck and the last thing you want is a heater failing on you or boil your livestock. i think heater is one of the most important thing.

and did your tank cycle yet? it seems to me like you just added LR last week.

slap on another 55 watt. :)

so, the tank cycled, and then you added live rock. mmmm...

hopefully you used cured live rock instead of uncured, otherwise your tank will recycle.

however, i like the caves made by your aquaspacing :)

slap on another 55 watt.

i agree.

Good luck,

aqua_aaron

The tank was not cycled, I actually picked up some NSW and Live Sand from this guy who was selling his whole setup. The next day I went and got some cured live rock and placed it in. I have tested the levels and it Ammonia, nitrite are at 0 levels.

I have 2 HOB because my AC500 will be converted to a fuge and the other is used to help lower the temp of the water, i found that the size of the smaller HOB filter is able to fit some Ice bricks... and it adds that little bit of flow :P. Living in Sydney, the summers get prettty hot here and we don't have A/C :(. The temp got up to about 30C (96F)... OUCH!

Which heaters would you recommend?

i like the caves made by your aquaspacing

Thanks

sorry-read the dates wrong :)

if you can afford it i would pick up an ice probe chiller

ice probe link

also, you might want to wait another week even though all you tests come to zero, I'm not an expert on this, but I don't know if a tank with live sand and rock will cycle in one week unless you tested daily and saw the nitrate, nitrite, ammonia peaks.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All,

As promised. This is the update for January. I have added a torch coral (Euphyllia Glabrescens)

I have also re-arranged the rockwork slightly to provide more space to place the corals. I will be looking to adding additional coral this month!

20040125-Jan-Update.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Again,

Here is an update of my tank for Feb '04. I have added a Goniopora which has added some life to this tank. I hope this specimen will last long and not wither and die like all the info I have read on it.

I also purchased a new Bi-Colour Blenny and it is the actual star of the tank! Lots of personality and so cute!

I have unfortunately lost on of my CBS and I actually believe it might be a Mantis shrimp that might of gotten to it. We spotted the damn thing a coupld of days ago and it quite large. about 5cm (2in) in length and boy did that give me a fright. I need to find a way of ridding that pest!

20040224-Feb-Update.jpg

Trupel,

What's the selection in Sydney like as far as drygoods and livestock? I'm in the states now but am considering moving to OZ following graduation. Having just started a tank, I'm really curious how the availability of stuff is out there. PM or post.

Selection is not too bad. The market here is not as big as it is in the states, so your selection of corals is quite small. You are still able to get quite a few good specimins. SPS and LPS are very poplular in sydney but your best bet would be do your shopping in the big cities.

here are some online oz sites which might help you.

http://www.aquaria.com.au/ - Dry goods

www.angelfish.com.au - They do Corals/Livestock/Liverocks

www.aqariumimports.com - They do fish

www.reefonline.com.au - Drygoods and Equipment

www.coralights.com.au - Lighting

ww.aquaria.com.au - Dry goods.

-You might want to bring over a chiller like an iceprobe as they are quite expensive here. Well, they actually only just arrived in Australia. Lighting is also very limited. Only NO and MH here. No PC's at the moment which is a shame. so you might want to buy the lights/fitting from the states.

I hope this info helps you

Cool, thanks for the 411. Presuming that I do move to Australia, I will surely be bringing my Minibow setup with me. I'm trying to get it all together right now anyway, so it would really only be about getting together a few drygoods (salt, bulbs, etc.) and restocking it. Worst case scenario I can always order my stuff to my parents house and then have them ship it internationally.

All that's a long way off tho. I'll subscribe to this for future reference.

Thanks!

Archived