SaltCritters.com

When to test after adding LR and Ca ?

AMAYEU

Hi,

I have a 12 gallon NANO, and only had 3 pounds of LR in it. Salinity 1.026, Ca 420, Nitrate 0, Kh 10-12. I did a water change and added 6 pounds of LR. When should I test next.

Lastly, I want to increase my Ca. Looking for more coralline. So pretty! I have 2 bunches of xenia, with a new one growing somewhere else, 4 blue mushrooms, 1 green hairy mushroom, zoa's (1) and another group of (6), and a chotea.

Is it better to get a Ca supplement or make my one with Mrs Wages Lime? I assume a supplement due to the size of the tank.

Cheers

AMAYEU

lakshwadeep

You should avoid adding live rock unless it is fully cured (=cycled) when there is livestock present in the tank. Normally, you should have 1-1.5 lbs of rock per gallon and cycle all the rock prior to adding livestock. This amount of rock is not so important for corals, which have a limited bioload, but it does limit how much fish can be kept. Do you have fish?

Why do you need to supplement? Your calcium (and alkalinity) level is in the normal range. Also, pickling lime, like Mrs. Wages, is going to raise both calcium and alkalinity, not caclium alone.

How old is the tank?

in the meantime, read this:

Part 1: The Saltwater Itself

Part 2: What Chemicals Must be Supplemented

Part 3: pH

Part 4: What Chemicals May Detrimentally Accumulate

coraline will not come with calcium supplement, it will come with time. I have my aquarium set up for about 2 months and I am only starting to see trace of it on my pump and glass..very little. It just take time.

You will not make the coraline come faster by adding more calcium since you already have plenty enough. Just time and patience will do it.

Hi,

I have a 12 gallon NANO, and only had 3 pounds of LR in it. Salinity 1.026, Ca 420, Nitrate 0, Kh 10-12. I did a water change and added 6 pounds of LR. When should I test next.

Lastly, I want to increase my Ca. Looking for more coralline. So pretty! I have 2 bunches of xenia, with a new one growing somewhere else, 4 blue mushrooms, 1 green hairy mushroom, zoa's (1) and another group of (6), and a chotea.

Is it better to get a Ca supplement or make my one with Mrs Wages Lime? I assume a supplement due to the size of the tank.

Cheers

AMAYEU

IF you really want coraline to start early keep water as clean as possible, get the calc up there to about 500 and alk at 12 or more, you will have to get the magnesium up to about 1400-1500. If you accomplish this and have actinics you will see coraline grow faster than you can scrape it off the glass. The best way IMO is to dose a 2 part and supplement with calcium. You can buy name brand or get the recipe of the net for the DIY stuff I use.

2 part recipe

IF you really want coraline to start early keep water as clean as possible, get the calc up there to about 500 and alk at 12 or more, you will have to get the magnesium up to about 1400-1500. If you accomplish this and have actinics you will see coraline grow faster than you can scrape it off the glass. The best way IMO is to dose a 2 part and supplement with calcium. You can buy name brand or get the recipe of the net for the DIY stuff I use.

2 part recipe

Really?

What does it mean to dose a 2 part AND supplement with Calcium? Why are you suggesting such high numbers? High Alk is actually bad for some inhabitants.

I have read through numerous posts and a lot of people recommend the 2 part ESV B-Ionic versus anything else. They say its simple and easy, esp for nano's. One stop supplement, so to speak.

I had the opportunity to buy different bottles at half off of: Calcium supplement/magnessium/iodine/potassium.

But instead of being a impulse buyer, I am still doing more research.

Thoughts on ESV B-IONIC instead of multiple supplements?

Archived