Innovative Marine Aquariums

Tropic Marine BIO-ACTIF System salt

usnret

I'm switching back to never had a problem and good coral growth. I'm going try the pro type. Next time. No complaints and mixes really really well.

• 2 weeks later...
malibumowry

I believe the alk ends up mixing a little low, as the new fad in europe (which is where their lab is based) says that a lower alk (not too low) increases absorbtion of calcium in corals, based upon their testing. I was talking to Lou Ekus the other day as he was a speaker at my local club a week or so ago and this is what he mentioned. He said that everybody is loving the salt and getting great responses when they switch to it in coral growth and coloration.

Of course he is trying to sell his product,

Sunday was my 3rd water change with this salt! Mix before WC Alk 7 Cal 330 Mg 1000,

After WC Tank readings Alk 8 Cal 380 Mg 1120, So I have the same qustion to dose or not to dose with this salt? Obsrvations= water is clearer, very little skimate inskimmer cup compaired to befor using this salt, zoo's alittle more colorful, rooms are a little more extended. I'm still not sure if the salt is doing what is advertised, I'm going to go for a few more weeks at these low levels and see what happens.

I have googled and googled not much out there on this salt.

Thx for any more input

See I read on the reef builders review that this salt was suppose to put ur skimmer into overtime and produce alot more skimate

Amphiprion1
I believe the alk ends up mixing a little low, as the new fad in europe (which is where their lab is based) says that a lower alk (not too low) increases absorbtion of calcium in corals, based upon their testing. I was talking to Lou Ekus the other day as he was a speaker at my local club a week or so ago and this is what he mentioned. He said that everybody is loving the salt and getting great responses when they switch to it in coral growth and coloration.

Of course he is trying to sell his product,

That may be true, but what's the point? What exactly does increased calcium uptake accomplish? Calcification is inorganic carbon limited (carbonate/bicarbonate), never calcium limited. There are a ton (literally) of studies out there that show an increase in calcification proportional to the addition of carbonate/bicarbonate (I *think* up to 14 dKH, after which there is no real benefit to adding more) . That's one of the real advantages to an elevated alkalinity--enhanced calcification. You can increase calcium bioavailability, also, by simply keeping a correspondingly high calcium level. That will energetically favor calcium transport into coral cells. I just don't see a lower alkalinity and increased calcium absorption to be that advantageous--it certainly goes against the studies out there.

Edit: I'm not questioning you, since you already see the marketing gimmick involved, but more of a general question posed to everyone. Food for thought.

I read the same, I have a AquaEuro P55 with mesh mod before using this salt I was getting about 1/2 collection cup of fairly dark stanky brown skimmate, a week now it's mabe 1/4 if that, 29g display bare bottom, 10g sump, only softies med load up for 36 weeks.

The post buy Malibumowry talks of running Alk low is a fad in europe and many posts in the states tells us to run Alk at 10 or even 11, Cal at 400 to 450, and Mg at1300. The tank looks pretty good right now! mabe the reefers across the pond know something we don't.

I use to keep my alk at 9-10 but since I swapped tanks. It's at 7-8 I don't notice much difference. But my corals are growing faster. I just figured it was me getting better at dosing. But idk

malibumowry

I personally am not a chemist and I do not know the results of any studies done, I was simply repeating what Lou said. That is his opinion and may be what he has heard and seen.

I however have not used the salt or read the studies on this. I do know that it is the fad in Europe and they are saying that this is leading to increased growth rate of corals. Please don't take me mentioned what he said as my opinion or fact.

I am sure if one is so inclined they can do some research on european trends

I do think that even with a low alk you still need a higher calcium reading than 330. And your magnesium usually needs to be about three times your calcium so your mag will need to come up in proportion to your calcium. My guess is that if you are seeing more growth that explains why your calcium is lower as your corals are using it up, and I would recommend dosing calc and magnesium.

Amphiprion1

Agreed. It sounds more like under-dosing than anything else (or too infrequent water changes). You'll always find that corals need more over time.

Well I just swapped tanks not long ago. I only dose every two days when I do my water tests. As I'm still getting use to this tank. With more coral. I went from a 29 to a 57. Check it out let me know what you think. I did weekly water changes on my old tank but on this one I'm doing them every two weeks.

Archived