inTank Media Baskets

Evaporated water

baldwinb

How often should i replenish my evaporated water?  I don't want to be constanlty adding freshwater but then again i don't want too much salinity change

NanoReefer53

Invest in an easy DIY $20 auto-top off. Works great and is sensitive to maybe every 1/4 inch. Here's a pic of mine

equip

float switch

airline

pump

floatswitch.jpg

nanoreefer, is that a tunze setup you got?  i was thinking of trying one of those out.  how much do they run?

with the heat  we have been experiencing here in NYC I have been having massive evaporation problems.  Lost over a gallon over the weekend (Fri, Sat, Sun - extra day for me) and I am fearful of what I might run into when I am out of town for July 4th (5 days max).  Therefore, I'd like to hear more about the diy top off system.

I don't have anything to add about the top off system as I don't use one, but I did want to pass along a little trick I learned.

First, make sure your salinity level in the tank is where you want it to be. Then, put a mark (with an indelible marker) or a small piece of masking tape in a discrete space, so that it's level with your water level. That way you can tell at a glance when to replace your evaporated water. One thing to remember is that you will still have to check your salinity every so often to make sure you have not lost salt due to salt creep. (This last bit is mainly for those who have lots of salt creep)

I can check my level every day that way with just a glance. When the water goes below the mark, I simply fill with fresh water until the water level goes back up to the mark. When I do my weekly water change, I'll double check the salinity with the hydrometer, but usually there isn't any salt lost.

HTH

salt creep is that white flaky stuff you see at the top of your tank just above the water level or on top of the rim, even on your lights if you do not have a cover.... its dried up salt basically.

Vixyswillie
Quote: from HuBu on 1:17 pm on June 25, 2002[br]hey nano. can you tell us how you build that auto top-off.

Ditto that. Sounds pretty straightforward, but I'd like to hear the specifics (with some closeup pics, if you could shoot 'em ;))

quiksilver5768

Its a float switch that nanoreefer is using. I have one too but I dont have anypics. Its basically a switch which turns on a powerhead or any electrical device when it senses the water at a certain level. The sensor on the float switch can be moved up and down for varied top off heights and such. Nanoreefer referred me to californiareefs.com. The guy on that site sells these float switches for cheap. all info on the switch is on the site.

Im not sure, but im guessing that the airline is the return from a pump which pumps out water from an RO water resevoir.

The wired up float switchs (connected to an extension cord already) are $25. all you need is a pump and some type of tubing, along with a water resevoir...

Hopefully that cleared up most of your questions...

Fishiebusiness

I have  DIY top off similar to nanoreefer53's. The top off switch is 11 dollars from grainger. They only sell to other businesses' so you'll need a business account to buy. There is another seller which sells to all, but i cannot remember the website. I have the switch mounted as nanoreefer does. You splice the switch into an extention cord. Basically, when the floater is low, it allows a current to run and activates anything plugged into the cord. I have a small powerhead with a tube in a bucket of water under the tank. It is plugged into the extention with the float switch. Whenever the water level falls, the switch lets power run, the powerhead turns on, and freshwater is pumped into the tank until the level is high enough.

NanoReefer53
Quote: from byrself on 1:44 am on June 25, 2002[br]nanoreefer, is that a tunze setup you got?  i was thinking of trying one of those out.  how much do they run?

Nope. A good ol' fashion DIY auto-top off. The float switched was ordered through grainger by Cameron and I bought it off him.

Basically you attatch it to an extension cord by cutting one wire and connecting it to the switch. Plug the pump into the extension cord. The switch is sensitive to about 1/4" .

As for the making, I used the plastic piece that hangs on the back of a glass canopy. I just cut a small section, make some holes, and attatched the airline (which water goes through), and the float switch (which is screwed in).

Nishant3789

fishie buisness, what exactly is it c alled at grangers? would they have it at home depot since we dont have grangers down here in ATL... I was also thinking of building one, sounds pretty easy cept the only prob is finding taht float switch... i cant order off the internet so ill have to buy it locally

nishant

ah, just thought of a nother place you can probable get them, plumbing stores OR boat supply stores, they may call them something like automatic bail switch or something... BUT make sure it fits the bill, different ones work differently.. ie moisture switch...etc..

(& No you probable can't get them at home depo.)

(Edited by Catspa at 8:46 am on June 26, 2002)

Archived