Cultivated Reef

Some useful items....

Sahin

OK, I decided to post this thread for the benefit of those new to the hobby.

Below are pics of a few very useful tools to have.

First up is the plastic aquarium tongs.

Very useful for picking stuff up in the aquarium without putting in hands that could contaminate water.

And also useful for target feeding corals, shrimp etc. I can even pick up hermits, and move them around the tank to an area that needs work to be done ASAP.

2nd is an ingenious contraption that I made. Using airline tubing attached to the tong, I am able to siphone out snail poop etc, without putting in hands in tank and ability to sihphone things out of crevices etc. Very useful for getting snail crap lying at the back of tank behind rocks etc.

And finaly some useful tools;

1. Torch, here i have a blue LED torch--very useful for nightime viewing without disturbing critters too much.

2. Syringe with needle. Weapon against pests like Aiptasia.

3. Large syringe, useful for measruing out quickly different amount of water for testing AND for using to squirt KALK paste at Aiptasia etc.

4. PC fan--very useful for cooling of tank.

Can be easiy wired to DC current adapter.

hey thats great. Thanks for taking the time to get some pic of the items u have to clean your tank. have you decided to have a help section on your website?

Thanks. I just thought it would be helpful for others. Its a real pain messing around in the reef tank with your hands in, disturbing corals etc. One day I just had a bright spark idea. :)

I was thinking about it, but it requires a bit of time...me only know a bit of html.

I guess in the coming months I will redesign the whole site and include a help section as well.

NanoReefer53

heh, i also use a little LED light for looking at night. I just take the top part of my little brother's light up pen while he's sleeping since the pen has a blue LED on it. Cool part is it's an actinic LED (420-480nm) so corals flouresce while looking. I'm also thinking about mounting one in my hood to simulate the moon at night.

honey, where's the turkey baster? (another sacrifice from my wife :P )

have a journal or a calendar at least. little notes beats a long memory everytime.

keep a beach towel handy. at least one. :rolleyes:

bucket, you WILL need it, sooner or later. um-hm

hehe for night viewing I use my video camera that has nightscope on it and put it on my tv. The camera was free when I bought it they goofed up on my CC or somthing and it has been 2 years and still have not got a bill and it is not on my credit report. free 800 dollar camera

That's funny mysk, I got a computer the same way. Paid with a check- store must have lost it because it was never cashed. $1200 computer for free :) Of course, it's an outdated POS now, but that's beside the point.

Guest LudavicoTechnique

I'm a filmmaker, and my camera has Both nightvision and infrared. It's soo cool to see the life in the tank when they can't see you. I will post pics when I find the program for my computer.

do you know why those cameras are illegal? i read an artical in a magazine that said when used during the day you could see through certain types of clothing witht them. they showed pics and you really could see through. very weird. i want to put a little led over my tank to simulate moonlight too. they only put out around 3 lumens so it wouldnt do much for the corals but it would be neat to look at.

I have a sony camcorder with the night-vision. Sony discontinued this line of models and adpated the vision in future models.

I sometimes do use it to look at the tank in absolute darkness.

I can see my veins--I once aimed it at my left arm and saw these vein lines...looked scary and horrible.

NanoReefer53; the LED torch I use also is an actinic one. The corals fluoresce SO cool!

Yeah, I got free internet access for a year worth about £320 ( $500) after the company got bought over and the new buyer messed things up. No bills for a year, that was pretty cool. :P

Archived