inTank Media Baskets

Reproducing mushrooms?!

jay2k2

Mushrooms can either split or bud. If there is more than one of a particular species in the tank, they will usually bud. If there is only one mushroom present they will split. They can also split when stressed.

When the mushrooms are all shriveled up they are (usually) either absorbing extremely small food items (like plankton or bacteria) in other words eating, or they are getting ready to release their wastes, in other words pooping!;)

However, this shriveling shouldn't last for any real length of time. If the mushroom remains extremely small for more than a day, I would be concerned.

I have had an unidentified shroom split, and it didn't look anything like when they shrivel up. This was more of a pulling into two kind of thing.

HTH:D

well there is only 1 single mushroom in the tank right now.

one side of the mushroom is fully extended while the other side is shriveld into 2 sorta flaps. so i am unsure what it is doing!

I had a single green-striped mushroom, until it reproduced & now it has 2 babies growing underneat...... They are growing very nicely, too!

NanoReefer53

If your looking to make more shrooms, here's an easy way that saves time instead of cutting them into pieces then trying to attatch each piece down.

Find a shroom that u'd like to split. Get a razor blade and slit from the center of the shroom up twords the light. After a while the shroom will automatically split itself.

Originally posted by jay2k2

well there is only 1 single mushroom in the tank right now.

one side of the mushroom is fully extended while the other side is shriveld into 2 sorta flaps. so i am unsure what it is doing!

turn down the lights, turn up the music and give it some privacy.

Archived