Out of these snails.... which ones would be best in a JBJ Nano Cube

Astrea snails - cleans live rock and glass well

nassarius Snails - Sand bed sifters

Cerith Snails- Sand bed sifters and cleans glass

Margarita Snails - good for glass but can't right themselves sometimes

Nerite Snails - I've heard that these are escapers! butthey are neat

AND THEN SOME....

Blue and red leg Hermits..lol

Okay so the question is How many snails and hermits should I be shooting for...I'd like to keep hermits to a minimum because I don't want them attacking my snails..hopefully if I toss some shells in though.. they will be good.... so I was thinking

2-3 teeny tiny hermits

3 astrea snails

2 nassarius snail

2 cerith snail

1 nerite snail

1 margarita snail

Is this overdoing it? Or could I use More? I have No idea! Let me know.... all opinions welcome.. thanks Alot... Megan

Blinkgyrl2987

Thanks for the replies... I did think about adding a turbo... but since they do get really big thats why I left them out....Wouldn't want my live rocks tumbling over!

matt the fiddler

you can always super glue or tie your LR together- liek you glue coral on them.. if you have delicate structures.. i think getting a turbo is one of the better moves you can make.. mine is the main reason the tank stays clean..

I'm just starting my Nano Cube and I will probably do something similar with the snails, but instead of the hermit crabs, I plan on adding a dozen Hawaiian red volcanic shrimp (Halocaridina rubra/Opae 'ula)

Here is my opinion...

2 Astrea Snails

3 Margarita Snails

5 Cerith Snails

NO HERMITS, I kinda dont trust crabs, I got some myself, but Id prolly not have gotten them...

Ohh BTW, None of my snails have ever fallen and not been able to right themselfs, THE ONLY exception was when an astrea fell and the Hermits swarmed him like bees... I liked that snail, He was growing Xenia on him....

Good Luck Happy Reefin ;)

Originally posted by Jean-yus

Here is my opinion...

NO HERMITS, I kinda dont trust crabs, I got some myself, but Id prolly not have gotten them...

My hermits are harmless. In fact my astrea snails cause more problems that my hermies. I have a particularly large astrea that likes to climb my branching hammer coral and tip it out of its 'hole' I have it shoved in. You can't go wrong with small hermits (ie. blue leg / zebra hermits). There ARE larger variations that can cause problems . but I've had no problems with mine and they're a riot to watch.

d.

I'll second Mr. Krispy on the turbos . . I had a couple of them and they got huge . . they're reef safe and wont attack anything, but their mass can cause a problem and will drive you nuts when they start to knock stuff over that you've spent ages arranging how you want it.

you can always super glue or tie your LR together- liek you glue coral on them

Although bonding your rock together does help keep things in check, when you start adding livestock you may want to make shaded, low current, high light, etc. areas and if everything stuck together, its gonna be a pain in the arse . . might as well get some non-destructive livestock before you decide to cement all your rocks together.

d,

search up my recent post on clean up crew shopping. it had a lot of valuable information that was given by some well learned folks. it helped me with the exact same question you have. good luck and happy reefing

nooooooo Astreas they are the biggest reef morons I've run into. Can't turn themselves over so you constantly have to watch for them to fall or else they will die. They are the most lazy SOBs in my tank, I got 7 of them because they were marked as "turbos" and I can tell you my 2 new mexican turbos (with the rounded shells) have done more work in a week then these 7 Astreas have done in the last 3-4 months. One of them fell over 2 days ago, I flipped it over and it's still sitting in the same spot in the sand....I vote no Astreas!

Archived