SaltCritters.com

MJ's 75 Gallons of Schnozberries

Militant Jurist

Militant Jurist

I'm just afraid that when I go to the LFS, I'm going to see just how cool the yellow tang is, and might be compelled to get it instead. WILL POWER..... MUST RETAIN WILL POWER.....

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Needreefunds
From the pain of physical therapy or the pain killers?

meh, its a tossup. :happy:

In a fog all day... For example, I have been PMing this poor guy all day long and I have NO idea what I'm talking about.

:unsure::wacko::blink:

Militant Jurist
meh, its a tossup. :happy:

In a fog all day... For example, I have been PMing this poor guy all day long and I have NO idea what I'm talking about.

:unsure::wacko::blink:

It's all good. It's kind of like the Wizard of Oz... listen to the talking head, but pay no attention to the man behind the curtain! :P

I'm just afraid that when I go to the LFS, I'm going to see just how cool the yellow tang is, and might be compelled to get it instead. WILL POWER..... MUST RETAIN WILL POWER.....

DON'T DO IT! A yellow is way too aggressive for a 75. A kole is a perfect choice.

Militant Jurist
DON'T DO IT! A yellow is way too aggressive for a 75. A kole is a perfect choice.

Hm.... in that case, I think my will power just got stronger to avoid the yellow tang. I'll just have to be sure the vet isn't around when I buy a kole tang. :D

Militant Jurist

I had a feeling you'd enjoy those wrasses! It's amazing the world of options that open up in the wonderful world of large tanks.

Needreefunds
It's all good. It's kind of like the Wizard of Oz... listen to the talking head, but pay no attention to the man behind the curtain! :P

:lol:

So, perhaps we both be swayed back towards the Kole my friend. :happy:

This is why we "hash" these things out right here on NR. ;)

Militant Jurist

So, perhaps we both be swayed back towards the Kole my friend. :happy:

Maybe we'll end up ordering at the same time, and get cousins. ;)

This is why we "hash" these things out right here on NR. ;)

Indeed! Many decisions have been made or changed based on these conversations! Of course, now I want the tang sooner rather than later! Thankfully, the tank will be here Saturday, with my brother's help. If all goes well, it will also be drilled that day. Then, the plumbing begins.

Here's my thoughts on that: I'm thinking about using vinyl tubing for the most of the drain and return. Since the 20L is currently holding LR, coral, and my chalk bass, it will be a week or so before it can be converted to a sump. That all means that I'll be going sumpless for a while on this tank. I'll actually be stealing Richie's sump design. ;)

Militant Jurist

New twist:

I'm NOT drilling! I'm going to use the LifeReef overflow I got from Richie on this tank. This will equal an extra $25 in my reef budget, which is nearly a fish!

I vote for the Kole Tang.....not that I'm anybody! B) Had one, getting another one for my 75 gallon.

I always look at others 75 gallon tanks to get ideas for mine :)

Militant Jurist
I vote for the Kole Tang.....not that I'm anybody! B) Had one, getting another one for my 75 gallon.

Was yours an early addition to the tank, or later on? I'm debating the order in which I'll get mine.

I always look at others 75 gallon tanks to get ideas for mine :)

Me too! I've spent way too much time already doing that. :P

Militant Jurist

Time to go pick up the new tank!!

False Alarm: The guy got called in to work today, so I can't pick it up this morning. <_<

Militant Jurist
omgomgomg

inorite? Well, I suppose the upside is that it gives me time today to pick up a new trash can for making RODI, I can order some rocks from John, and do some more planning of the livestock. The pick up has been rescheduled for 10am tomorrow. T-Minus 24 hours, 3 minutes.

Wow, two whole pages without me posting any pictures. Time to fix that.

100_1342.jpg

The tank will be going between the two bookshelves.

Needreefunds

Awe shuks...no tank today? :(

Oh well- patience is a huge part of the game right? :happy:

Was that hazmat I saw around here??? :o:unsure:

I am honored that you like my sump design. :blush:

Militant Jurist
Awe shuks...no tank today? :(

Oh well- patience is a huge part of the game right? :happy:

Yup, no tank. :( Indeed, patience is a big part of it. I got a new 32g brute trash can today, so some majorly wet water will be made.

Was that hazmat I saw around here??? :o:unsure:

Yup, that was really hazmat! It wasn't a drug induced delusion.... this time. :P

I am honored that you like my sump design. :blush:

:D It's got all the great elements of a functional sump and a fuge as well. It's just what the doctor (or vet? ;) ordered!

Militant Jurist

I put in my order with John for 50lbs of dry rock. I've got probably 15 to 20 pounds of LR in the 20L, and I've got some sump LR. Between the three sources, it should be enough rock for a 75. I'll probably get a piece of new LR just for some extra biodiversity and to help the cycle.

Militant Jurist
Planned livestock:

Either a Kole or blue tang

Some kind of blenny or gobies

A pair of clowns

A wrasse or two

A pair or trio of chalk bass

A Mandarin, much further down the road.

Inverts:

Cleaner shrimp

A few peppermints (perhaps)

Updated. Thoughts? Too much? Conflicts?

Militant Jurist

100_1344.jpg

omgomgomg

I'm not happy with the paint job. Despite two coats of paint, it didn't stick very well. :( I need to find a plan B to make up for it.

Yaaaay, new tank!!!

This is gonna be awesome!!!

If you're talking about Krylon Fusion on the back glass, it took me about 5 coats to get it thick and solid enough in appearance.

BibleSue had the same experience.

You can also get vinyl that will stick on from a sign place, I've heard of ppl doing that.

Militant Jurist
Yaaaay, new tank!!!

This is gonna be awesome!!!

:happy:

If you're talking about Krylon Fusion on the back glass, it took me about 5 coats to get it thick and solid enough in appearance.

BibleSue had the same experience.

You can also get vinyl that will stick on from a sign place, I've heard of ppl doing that.

Yeah, I used the fusion. The bummer is that I really don't have anyone around here who can help me move, repaint, and move the tank back. So, I that leaves the vinyl option. When it was outside, the paint seemed fairly thick and uniform, but now that the tank has some back-lighting from the window behind it, it looks bad. What do you think about using construction paper on the backside of the tank to block the back-light?

Update: The tank has been given a vinegar wipe down, and a tap water wipe down. I'm going to let it dry, and then the RODI water will be added. I've got 30 gallons already made up, and I'll make another 30 tomorrow. The last 15 or so gallons for the tank will come from WC water.

I just realized that I don't have enough salt to mix up. :eek: I last picked up a 50g bag, and it's already down a quarter or so. I might have to break my tradition and go to a different store, because Phishy's isn't open again until Wednesday. That, or I just leave it RODI until then. Which I just might do...

Archived