Cultivated Reef

"NO" lights over MH?

rhinoivory

T5 is the form factor, like T8 and T12. T12 are the thicker 37mm diameter tubes. T8 are the thinner 25mm diameter tubes. T5 are smaller again with a diameter of 16mm and offer higher output and less power usage than T8 and T12.

hehehe, I highly speculate that this guy actually used NO's over his reef, and succesfully maintained it, but I am going to definately check it out and get more feedback from more people.

If you read the article in full, you will see WetPets UK mentioned.

I have actually visited this LFS about 4 weeks ago (I mentioned it in a post).

Anyway, they have an awesome tank setup, and they replaced one half of the tanks lighitng with T5's.

The tank was matured on MH's so just replacing with T5's that perhaps are able to support corals isnt a true measure of how well they are.

I would like to see a test where what they would have done if the tank was started fresh againt a MH setup.

IMO they arent a replacement for MH's.

No way. I have been reading about these lighting systems alot and UK reef site members do mention that they are very good, but not overall replacment for metal halides.

These aint Normal Output Flouros, but rather a better form of VHO.

They do however have nicer colours, and corals colours appear much nicer with T5's than with MH's. I guess it has soemthing to do with the light spectrum.

Archived