Pod Your Reef

20l prop tank lighting

tsalter

Hi all,

Setting up my 20L as a mushroom prop tank. What lighting would you reccomend I want to run some sort of flourecent but don't know what would be appropriate for mushrooms. I have a Workhorse 7 that could be employed to run NO's, VHO PC. I have halides over my main tank but don't really think the shrooms would need them.

If I were setting this up as a lps/sps tank I would just through a hailde over and be done. but for low light softies I am not sure what to do. I want to make this tank as cost effective as possible and even it that case it is hard not to go with mh for bulb life.

Would a few tubes of NO be okay or should I try to run VHO and replace more often? with 2 vho's then it almost makes more sense to put a 175mh over the tank.

Thanks for your thoughts

Tom

What about putting 2, 70 watt mh pendants over the tank. The bulbs last longer plus you'd get a better spread of lighting over the tank than the 175 watt. You could DIY the project easily and cheaply. Just a thought.

the pc's will work fine...

though you could get away with NO lighting... that workhorse'll run 110W won't it ?

4x20w NO

Thanks all,

2 70 mh are an idea but going real cheap on this prop tank

The workhorse 7 will run 220 watts. I am running 2 vho's on it now,

Thanks for all the feedback it is a toss up between 4 no and 2 pc. The 2 pc bulbs would be cheaper to replace. The no's can be run off a depot ballast though which is easier to get.

Thanks

Tom

Archived