SaltCritters.com

what to use to cover up Intakes of JBJ Nano Cube

Blinkgyrl2987

Blinkgyrl2987

What can I use to cover up the intakes...while the tank is fulll? I have cut out slots on the top in order for the water to overflow... but the water in the back compartment is about the same height as the water in the tank... thus no overflow is occuring..... apparently covering up the intakes will raise the water in the tank allowing for and overflow... to get rid of surface scum...

Aslo will getting a stronger pump raise the water in the tank also?

Thanks for your help.. Megan~~~

You might try taking a little water out...its possible that the sump is flooded. I just experimented by putting a piece of plastic over my intake covering more than 3/4 of the opening. Once I took some water out, it began to lower the level in the sump and overflow like you want it to.

from what I've read jbj screwed up. the compartment in the back is supposed to be higher to force the water to trickle over the bioballs. you can try adding more bioballs or if you can epoxy a piece of acrylic to filter compartment to force the water over the bioballs.

I have live rock and live sand in mine and the nitrates are fine, the only thing that suffers seems to be the ph, it drops to the high 7 to low 8. others have added protein skimmers, lee counter current, and don't seem to have problems with anything. I think I am going to order one from drs foster and smith.

megan,

Take any piece of plastic or acrylic and put it up to the outside of the intake. The suction from the intake will hold the plastic there...you can play around with the level till you are happy. You will see the level in the sump go down (way down if you cover the whole intake). Adjust it till you get a good overflow effect. Then when you're happy you can permanently mount a piece of acrylic to the inside of the sump (at the same height) so you don't see it.

Archived