Pod Your Reef

Update on my 10-gallon Nano

OscarBeast

10gsw1.jpg

Pretty much just rocks here.

10gsw5.jpg

Rocks and my firefish after the tank has cycled.

10gsw6.jpg

This is my picture with the new lighting on it. I went from a 15watt NO bulb to two 36watt PCs (one 10,000K the other Actinic). I have also added a Prizm skimmer.

10gsw7.jpg

This is when I had my firefish and my neon goby. The firefish is in his cave though. You can see more macro starting to take off on the top left.

10gsw8.jpg

Now macro has taken over one side of my tank. Some is even growing up to the top and floating. Most of it is Sargassum. I also bought and added a little leather. I now have a clown and my poor firefish jumped out of a tiny crack in my unfinished hood. A little while after this picture was taken, I also added a bunch of really nice frags that some friends from COMAS gave me. I had to rip out most of the macro out that had take over my tank to fit all of that great stuff in there. Also, it should be noted that my little neon goby is MIA. I never found a body inside my tank or out, but I suspect that maybe my emerald got him cornered and had a goby sandwich one night. This might have been because I removed all of the macro and the coralline started to take off. It may have been my emerald was starving. I also added a blood shrimp about this time along with a duster, GOB, and a few other things from the Reef Shop.

10gsw9.jpg

Now this is how it looked a couple of days ago. As you can see the leather is now quite huge. Now my emerald crab is dead. I suspect that he may have starved. There was really nothing for him to eat and I wasn't feeding my tank quite so heavy. I discovered that if I fed my Clown every day that he would have signs of ich. When I started feeding every other day, and less frozen food, the ich and signs of HITH he had went away. It was better for my tank to feed less, but I don't think it was so good for my emerald crab. I also had another large leather that a friend gave me. It was so big though that I had to frag it and take it to the store here in town. The frag I took off of it is doing great, but I don't have a good shot of it. The frag is down in the bottom there.

10gsw10.jpg

This picture is the same age as the one before it. The only difference is that my giant feather duster is out. I was going to frag that leather and take the main part of it to the COMAS meeting to give away, but I ripped the stem taking it out of the tank. I was afraid that the rip would cause it to rot, so I just chopped it up and tossed the stem. If the frags all take off well, I may bring them to the next meeting. If not, I am sure that the store here would be glad to have them.

This is just tank pictures, I have a few close shots of stuff if you want to see them.

Anyway, I just wanted to say thanks to everyone for all of thier help and to everyone that donated frags to me!

very nice! that was a big leather. when you say chop up you mean like fraging or splitting right? i also like that open brain you got there.

I see someones finally using a reef background to their advantage, made ur tank look very big!! well done btw, has a really kewl look to it!

Hey Beast. I made some comments over at oscarfish about the update.

Your tank does look very different now.

You did some big re-arranging huh?

PS how did you get all the pics on one post? The new software only allow one pic per post...are you using some kind of codes?

Sahin, I saw you posts... thanks!

The reason I can post more pictures is because I am not using the attach feature of the forum. These pictures are on my own web server and I have made links to them using the img tag. And the last two pictures are the same that I posted at Oscarfish.com. I did post a couple of pictures of my 2.5 nano I am working on with my 10-gallon. You may just be getting mixed up. Take a look at the gallery I made and look at the titles at the top of the page. It will tell you what you are looking at.

rhinoivory, LOL, thanks! I thought the background was kind of cheesy myself. It was a background I already had, so I just used it. When you take pictures of the tank, it does add a little depth though. I am actually hoping that coralline will take hold on the back and completely cover it.

Metznreef, I fragged her rotten baby! I took a pair of scissors to it and went to town! Here is another shot of the GOB is you are interested: gob2.jpg

thanks oscarbeast. i really like that flourescent green on the brain. i want one like that.

Excellent photos OscarBeast!!

I bet you have tons of life with those rocks too!!

I was going to ask you where you got the sargassum in the "before" pictures? I would love to have some of that for my big tank.

That leather of yours is huge! Very impressive....

Thanks, the Sargassum came attached to the live rock I had. When I got it in, it just looked like little sticks. Over time, it started to grow these very nice leaves. once they mature a little, they grow little air pockets so that they float. If I still had any, I would send it to you. Once I pulled it from the rocks, it never tried to grow back. This may be because other things in the tank are using all of the nutrients. The cycle is what really made the sargassum take off. From what I have heard, it usually doesn't last long past the cycle in most tanks anyway.

If you look at the very first picture where I said, "pretty much just rocks here", you will see the little stems on the left side. This is what it looked like when I got it. You might be able to find some LR that has some attached in your area if you are lucky.

Archived