Innovative Marine Aquariums

Small Fish

mboze45

Are there any reef fish people would recomend that grow no bigger than an inch? I've seen Gobies that stay around 3/4" in size.  

7G Cylinder 12"DX16"H Aquarium. 70Watt, Custom Sea Life Power compacts. 1/2" PVC in center of tank act as overflow and as a support which keeps together 5 stacked pieces of live rock (with 3/4" natural holes in them) together. The Overflow runs to 6G sump and a Seaclone Protien Skimmer.This tank is still in the process of being setup, not all this is final.

can't think of any off hand that aren't gobies. Ii know the clown goby does and it doesn't look like a typical goby either- different shape fat and round)

I actually had previously looked into this...

There are several goby and blenny species that would fit your bill.

However, there are two Basslets that are an inch or under.  The Dusky Basslet (Lipogramma anabantoides) and the Royal Basslet (Lipogramma regia) - not Royal Gramma obviously.  Good luck even fining a picture of these fish online let alone one that you can buy.  The only picture I've seen of the Royal Basslet is on page 213 of Burgess's Atlas (the big one).

Good luck though.

My LFS has a scooter blenny that is almost 6 inches long, Jay2k2.

I know, it blew my mind.  But they definitly get bigger than 1 inch.

Red head goby, clown goby, NOT A SCOOTER BLENNY, doesn't really matter what color, all babies are small, but its appetite will outgrow your tank without a doubt. If your goal is trying to fit a bunch of "really small fish" into a 7g, I would suggest you try a different plan. Maybe two small gobies, or a clown by itself. They all come from the ocean, and need space, more than 7g most of the time.

gaber

Archived