Coral Vue Hydros

B-Ionic, Kent Marine CB, or C-Balance?

Marius2

So I think the consensus is B-Ionic? I think I'm gonna go out today and grab me some bottles. Gotta love that tax return!

LebaneseDlight

Looks like you just started your tank, and you plan on housing rics and zoas? You probably don't need to dose for some time - just keep up with water changes. If you do plan to dose, make sure you test. I have 7-8 SPS frags and a clam, and I only need to dose B-Ionic every three days or so.

Walking_Target

I'm running a reef with Sun Coral, Frogspawn and a single Acan frag (and now a Monti Cap frag).

I can see a 2dkh drop over the course of 7 days if I don't dose about 2ml of ESV B-Ionic Part 1 and will see a purportional Ca drop if I dont dose an equal amount of Part 2.

I tried Kent - I gave it to a friend. It works, but it takes more suppliment to do the same work as a ESV.

Looks like you just started your tank, and you plan on housing rics and zoas? You probably don't need to dose for some time - just keep up with water changes. If you do plan to dose, make sure you test. I have 7-8 SPS frags and a clam, and I only need to dose B-Ionic every three days or so.

Awesome. Thanks for the advice and when/if I do start dosing hopefully it'll only have to be much at all. Did my first water test yesterday and all the parameters were fine except for my PH was a little low, 7.8.

davidncbrown

Used both C balance and B-ionic. I think they both work well. I really like how the B-ionic comes concentrated in the gallon size to save on shipping cost. I use a Aqua-doser to dose twice a day and everything seems to work well.

I've had the best stability by dosing b-ionic everyday at a fraction of the recommended dose. By testing ph, alk, and ca daily you can easily increase/decrease the daily dose slightly as needed. With this method I've kept two tanks at a rock solid 10 dkh and 430-450 ca.

disaster999
What about Randy Holmes-Farley's homemade 2 part? It is a much cheaper alternative and is very easy to make.

i use homemade 2 part. a hell of a lot cheaper than the bottle stuff esp for my 100gal tank and it works just as well as other name brands

i've been using Brightwell Reef Code A and B. I have been underwhelmed for the price, and it just doesn't do the complete job (not enough Mg in Reef Code A to make it a true Ca/Alk balancing solution -- I ended up having to deal with a huge Mg deficiency).

So, I recently ordered the Bulk Reef Supply 2-part solution (which is really 3 parts, with the Mg supplement). This appears similar if not directly derived from Randy Holmes-Farley's 2-part solution as mentioned above.

It is also MONUMENTALLY CHEAPER than buying name-brand dry supplements, and ESPECIALLY name-brand liquid supplements.

1 gallon of the Ca part, for instance, is like 3.99 -- just add RO water and a container to mix it in. Brightwell Reef Code A, in contrast, is like 12.99 for 1L of pre-mixed Ca supplement. So, that ends up being like 1/6 the price to go with the BRS solution.

Now, the BRS solution doesn't give you strontium supplementation; however, according to Randy Holmes-Farley, random strontium supplementation isn't necessary or even appropriate. whatever strontium you need will be provided in your salt mix.

I just ordered the BRS 2 -part today. I cant comment on it's performance yet, but I have read a lot good things about it

Archived