Cultivated Reef

DE metal halides in 1997

lousybreed

i was paging thru one of my old fish magazines and i saw an ad that had 6500K MH lights on it. it said 400-70W MH lights. i stopped and checked out the ad and low and behold there was a 400, 250, and 175 watt regular MH bulbs and then below them were two double ended bulbs. i am asuming that these were the 150 and 70W bulbs. how come it seems like they were just discovered recently? has anyone used the DE ones since 96 or 97?

DE is usually referred to as HQI...although technically, HQI has to do with the type of ballast. True HQI technology hasn't really spread over here to the states from Europe. Do a search for HQI and you'll see what you need.

HQI refers to the proper starting of the ballast required for DE bubls. ALthough we have ballasts that run them here in the states, "true" HQI starting ballasts haven't seemed to make it out of Europe. I remember reading some threads on this over at RC...and remember a couple people heading to Europe and were hoping to bring back a ballast or two for themselves.

Archived