Coral Vue Hydros

pre-mixing mag. ?

Jerfrog

Im going away for 3 days and im in the process of raising my Mg. Ive been adding 3tsp's a day. I was gonna have a friend dose for my while im gone but i dont trust it. Is it okay to pre-mix my magnesium dosage in Styrofoam cups for each day? I can mix three separate containers and he can open one each day to add to the tank. Is that reasonable? Or will the Mg. mix parish?

Thanks

perish? no. there are lots of magnesium supplements that are shipped liquid. if the magnesium is dissolved, it will "keep."

as far as the styrofoam goes, i can't speak to whether that would hold up with a magnesium concentrate in it.

your tank isn't going to crash by not dosing Mg for 3 days, i wouldn't imagine (what's your level at?). if you are concerned, why not just wait til you get back rather than having someone dose for you?

It also isn't taken out of the water quickly, so over the course of 3 days it may fall slightly, but less than one day's dosing so you can just resume when you get back.

Since it doesn't have an expiration date and doesn't have a container which keeps out air, I would guess that most magnesium supplements are shelf stable near indefinitely and do not go bad if left out, so as long as the cups are clean and there's no reaction with them, I don't see why that would be a problem as well.

Though if you trust them with looking after your tank (even if they're not doing water changes or feeding or whatever), wouldn't you also trust them to be able to measure a teaspoon 3 times a day? :D

Archived