Innovative Marine Aquariums

more light for a 20L

rano

I have a twin 55 pc set up from ahsupply in one of their hoods over my 20L right now. Seems marginal, and I want to fix that by adding something to that existing setup.

I'm lookin' for opinions. Would you add another single 55 from ahsupply? Go with a 70 MH?

Also, I'm having a tough time keepin' the temps under 80f as it is. So, recommendations on fans would be appreciated too.

Reefer_Buddha

if youre having temp probs with pc's then youre in for fun with mh :) i personally would ditch PC i think they're entry level and halide is where the big boys play. Once you see a good halide system youll dump pcs forever.

Not sure if your lighting solution would allow for a suspended pendant and an open top. I have a 29G that I am runiing a single 250 watt MH on. With the open top temps stay at 77-78 except for summer. In the summer I use a clamp on desk fan from office depot and it keeps the temp 78-80.

Before this I had a 20L with 2x55's, I found myself in the same dilema as you and after much debate, went to the 29 and MH. (I went for the bigger tank so I could consolidate my 10 and 20 together to keep cost down, as well as maintenance)

A 20L could get away with a single 175W MH in a horizontal pendant. If you add a third 55 watter you have 165 watts, but the 175 MH will definately look brighter depending on the bulb. for a few bucks more you could get a 250 watt set up and you would be set in the event you switched to a deeper tank.

If you weigh it out, the initial cost is higher for buying the ballast, pendant and bulb, but you are now only replacing one bulb roughly 9-10 months instead of 3 PC's every 4-6 months, and it opens the door to a greater range of corals.

My answer strayed from your question a bit, but I thought it was worth sharing my experiences. Also, I am not bashing PC's at all, I have seen some great tanks with PC's. I am just not one of the people who had long term luck using them. Since switching to Halides, I have not lost any corals and my tank overall appears healthier.

Thanks for the input. I hadn't really considered yanking anything out of the current hood, or replacing it.

But, you guys make some good points. And I have this old coralife pendant.... and thus, another weekend is shot to .... :)

speakeraddict

"but you are now only replacing one bulb roughly 9-10 months instead of 3 PC's every 4-6 months"

Huh?!

I don't know where you buy your bulbs from but you need to switch! I haven't seen PC bulbs with that short of a life span in years! I get 12 to 14 months before any really measurable (with a lux meter) drop off out the PC's from AHsupply. I have recently gotten some JEBO PC's and will keep and eye on them, but, I will have to get a new lux meter first.

speakeraddict

Ok, so you change 3 bulbs evey 9-12 months instead of 1 MH every 12 months. your mileage may vary......

I changed my bulbs more frequently than you, or maybe sooner than most, and I did get them from AH supply. (and I am very happy with their service)

As I said, I have no issue with PCs, I have used both and have had a lot better luck with MHs.

Rano had mentioned the option of adding a 70 watt MH bulb to the hood, I took it a step further on simply switching to a 175 or 250 MH. I also tried to address his concerns with heat and my experiences using a higher wattage bulb.

Peace,

Guy

Archived