Pod Your Reef

Question about water in fish only tank

cincyJames

I have been lurking around the site for the last 4 months and have yet to post, but here goes. I have been piecing together a 10 gallon nano with 10 gallon sump over the last few weeks and will start a thread on that in the future, but my real question is about the water quality in my 75 gallon. It is a fish only and i recieved my reef testing kit from api yesterday and was trying it out on my water in that tank.

My kh was way high. Is that ok in a fish only tank or does it even matter?

Second my Phospahtes are also way high which i figured, but besides water changes is there anything to lower it. wasn't sure if adding chaeto (sp) would help or not.

There are alot of great ideas and awesome tanks around here and any info would be great :)

Ok, so you're using either well water or city water.

If you're not keeping really sensitive fish, then this really isn't an issue. Just creates a nice place for nuisance algae and cyano outbreaks. Most fish don't really care, provided you keep up with water changes.

Cheato, skimmers, macro algaes in sumps...blah, blah, blah are likely a band aid and won't amount to much if the nutrients are coming from your water supply.

Archived