SaltCritters.com

Another Air Powered Auto Topoff

qfour20

The floatswitch is from floatswitches.net. I don't recall exactly, but I think I used 1 1/4" PVC fittings, to give some extra room inside. The floatswitch is screwed down to the plug fitting (holes drilled through).

The container with a screw on cap might not be able to provide enough pressure for you, but if you put the container very close to water level, you shouldn't have too many problems with it.

Another improvement to my system (stolen from wetworx, undertheradar, whatever he calls himself) is to change out the AC powered airpump for a battery powered airpump (DC). This is so that the floatswitch doesn't have 120V AC across it, which is a potential fire hazard.

Hope This Helps

-q

HobokenAddict

Hey qfour20

I am trying to achieve an auto topoff with a 2.5 gallon plastic container you would fill up with water, kool-aid and can draw it off with a tap. I siliconed the connection to the tap, it's now useless. I also silconed the airline tubing. I do get quite a bit of expansion on the container, and I can get the water via pen-plax battery pump about 3/4 of the way up, but it then stops.

You said that you used rigid airline tubing. Does that make a difference than using flexible tubing? I really want the batter powered auto topoff to work b/c i can't start putting corals in my tank until then. I have to use a PC fan for evap to control temp. Suggestions?

I also noticed a nice little glass jar in one of your pics, interesting container don't you think :

I didn't even see your post to this thread for a few days.... work has been CRAZY!

I had a lot of trouble when using plastic containers because the containers would flex. I upgraded my airpump to a big BAD mofo, and it worked. Sorta.

The rigid airline tubing doesn't increase the head height that the container can pump up to, but makes it convenient to get water out of the bottom of the container. It very well *could* be done with just regular airline tubing.

Your best bet is to get a glass container with a good stopper. They have 3 gallon and 5 gallon glass carboys like I used at brew stores (as well as some other really neat stuff, like CO2 systems!) for cheap. I paid $20somethin for my 5gal. Well worth it, in my opinion.

I'm a lazy bastige, and haven't replaced the impending fire hazard AC airpump with a battery powered one yet, but that will happen soon. I might lose my kalk container when I do that, but that's ok. I would DEFINITELY use a battery powered pump, or do a (well designed) relay for the AC. I'm tempting fate with my setup X)

Good eyes about the nug jar. Fortunately it was empty, and therefore, non incriminating! B)

Hope this helps, let me know if you have more questions.

-q

(btw, if you can't find a brew store near you, aquaticeco.com also stocks the glass carboys. You have to pay for shipping, but you can find MORE than enough neat stuff to order from them to make it worthwhile. Good luck!)

• 4 months later...

****UPDATE****

The plug that I had made worked for a little while, then one day when I had removed it to fill up the carboy, the pull ring pulled through. :*(

I tried to rebuild the stopper, but it leaked so bad it wouldn't work at all. Sucky. :|

So, I started looking and found the IDEAL topper for a glass carboy for this application:

carboy-caps.jpg

I bought two (and a few other stoppers in case it didn't work). I ordered these items from http://www.northernbrewer.com on friday. The arrived at my house SATURDAY. I cannot express enough how cool that was.

Anyways, I cut small holes into the white rubber caps and forced the rigid airline tubing I'm using through. Works like a CHAMP, and I can now fill my carboy without damaging the cap.

-q

**note** The AC powered airpump has been replaced in my setup with a battery powered air pump, so I don't have a fire waiting to happen in my house anymore.

sorry off topic, but can you really win a free ipod (in your sig qfour20)? or will i keep having to fill out form until my mail box is so full of junk mail it blows up? lol does it really work?

• 4 weeks later...

I just got a solid plug for the carboy. Actually, I got two sizes. One for the glass carboy that I own for an eventual RO/DI setup I am considering. The other fits the plastic ones so I can buy 5 gallons of water from a water purification company around here.

I was wondering what failed on your setup? I drilled two seperate holes through the plug for the rigid airline. I noticed that the plug didn't need to be completely seated in the carboy, so I don't need to pull it out by the rigid airline. I also didn't need to use any silicone because the rigid airline was enough to plug the holes I created.

I am hoping that I can go 2 to 3 weeks of auto topoff before I need to replenish the source, that way vacation is no big deal.

Mark

Well, *if* I had used the proper stopper for the carboy like you did (solid), then I probabbly wouldn't have had any problems. Instead, I used the stopper that they happened to have in stock at the brew store at the time, which was setup for a racking tube, and fit completely inside the neck of the carboy.

I don't know how much evaporation you system has, but my 5 gallon setup can make it about a week and a half before refills, which works just fine for me.

-q

Cool,

I bought a solid rubber stopper from the Brewing supply store (as well as a few other things). The one for the 5 gallon glass was a number 7, and the one for the plastic carboy that I exchange once a week for fresh water is a number 10. Now I just need a float switch, I am probably going to support Physh1's habit and buy one from him.

Mark

Archived