Innovative Marine Aquariums

DIY Reflectors?

Foogoo

I need a reflector similar to AH Supply's 22" reflector but don't feel like dealing with mail order and shipping etc etc. Does anyone know of any acceptable substitutes or diy?

alluminum foil. home depot also has mettle sheets that can be used. i know people who do that but you have to shape it yourself..

I'm using aluminum foil right now precariously taped over the lights. Only thing that wants me to change is that fact that they bend and change shape literally with my breath.

How about aluminum flashing, like the stuff that is used for roofing? Looks pretty shiny and you can cut-shape it pretty easily. I would think you could find it at any building supply store.

• 5 weeks later...
printerdown01

I currently use an aluminum reflector, however I can tell you that NASA has determined that a simple flat white paint is the best refelector for output + not distorting spectrum.... -just a thought

• 1 month later...

I used aluminum flashing over my 55 fresh and it worked great. In fact it was the same width so I just bought a 6 foot roll of it and cut 2 feet off. I removed the endcaps from the hood and put the sheet down. I then used the screws that hold the endcaps to the hood to also hold the flashing down. It never sagged or dulled. Of course, salt will eventually screw up the aluminum, but it was so cheap and easy, who cares?

Bryan.

For those using aluminum foil - flat white paint (not gloss) actually reflects more light than aluminum foil. If you would like to bend up your own hood try some spectral aluminum, this is what I used and it works great (same as polished aluminum).

Mylar is a good reflective material, but flimsy. Find something rigid that is the right shape, then spray it with 3M adhesive and stick on the mylar. 3M adhesive spray is used to attach soundproofing foam pads to the underside of car hoods, so it stands up to damp and heat very well. You can buy a can of it at good automotive supply shops.

You might try a restaurant supply house..look for the lightweight stainless steel mixing bowls...they normall run from 4-15 $...they are the lightweight ones so you can cut them if necessary ...

HTH

bob

My reflector thing is not the problem. Good ideas though. The thing I can't figure out is how to waterproof my not waterproof PC fixtures. Help me! I am putting water in this week and i am worried about corrosion. maybe it won't be a problem if I keep my fans running all the time. Thanks again for the help.

Archived