Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

5 Gallon lighting question

cuteios

Well my tank has been up for a couple of months now and I just recently upgraded lighting from a single 18Watt bulb to 2x18W 6400K PC and 1 10W Actinic. But for some reason it still looks like I don't have enough. Does anyone have an idea how I can increase the lighting?

I was really under the impression that 9W per gallon was already sufficient lighting

Are the 18 watt bulbs power compacts, or normal output? If they are Normals it might not be enough, Power Compacts have a much higher lumen output than standard NO bulbs.

Jeff

yeah you could do the 70w mh, but i think what you have now will be enough depending on what you want to keep, most softies, shroom, zoos will do fine under that light, for most sps and clams youll be needing the mh.

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm using two 18W PC bulbs in there, their the socket type. I know I have to change them more often but you just can't beat the price. My Actinic isn't a PC bulb though it's a normal florescent bulb. That might be the reason it doesn't seem to be as bright as I've expected. I just don't want to add anymore light right now as I am having some major problems with heat buildup.

Originally posted by maverick

i am running 2-19w 6500k, 2-10w 50/50 and 2-13w 03 and it really has a nice blue color and it is not near as hot as mh.

MH is better light. And believe it or not, they are just as hot as MH, they just spread the heat more evenly than a halide bulb. Go with MH, you won't regret it.

The thing is I don't even know where to begin to look for MH bulb around here. it's not like I could just drive to the nearest Home depot or something...online purchases are out of the question for little old me too. I'm stuck in a nice little spot where the livestock is dirt cheap but the equiptment is hard to come by. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I agree totaly with Maroon that MH is the way to go. But if you are looking for cheap I did all mine for about 1/2 as much as even the cheapest diy MH set up.

Archived