inTank Media Baskets

Surface Skimmer

Foogoo

It does exactly as it says... it draws the water into your HOB from the surface... removes that skim coat of slime off water surface.

Buuuuuuuut, um if you have nothing in your HOB like floss or some kind of pad to "trap" it... well what goes in comes back out, DOH!! hehe;)

I couldn't live without mine....I love it

The only prob is on a 7gal if you have over 2' sand it is too tall and must be cut down to size by hand.

Otherwise its the cats meow!

Toy

Fishiebusiness

I got one on my 10G, i hid it behind a powerhead and a heater so its low profile. Works great, no more oily crud.

I have one I got for the 20. I ran it for 24 hours and took it out. I didn't like the way it looks, too big and bulky. It also make some strange sounds and was hard to get adjusted not to suck air. I've heard both those problems stop after a break in period. I decided I would cut down the legnth and try it again.

• 4 weeks later...

They work on any kind of HOB or canister filter.

I cut mine down and I like it better now. I cut 3" inches off the black part and 2 1/8" off the clear. If I had to do it over I would leave about a half inch more on the black. The clear wants to drop in to far and cover the intake hole, if the black was longer it wouldn't be a problem at all.

I've got one from AquaClear that hooked up to one of my 500's on my Malawi tank. It worked great, but when I added additional filtration it was no longer needed. Now it just collects dust under the stand.

The aquaclear version looks just like the one in your link.

• 11 months later...

How high above the water does the black tube like thing have to be? I have like 3 inches form the rim of my aquarium to the top of my hood. Will it fit? I have a 12gal Eclipse.

Thanks for the info, was just getting ready to order one.

Would this thing fit onto a protein skimmer input (The Prizm?).

I tried to make a surface skimmer for my protein skimmer, but the Prizm is just too finicky about water level.

Anyone got a pic of one in their tank?

V

Originally posted by bobioden

How high above the water does the black tube like thing have to be? I have like 3 inches form the rim of my aquarium to the top of my hood. Will it fit? I have a 12gal Eclipse.

Thanks for the info, was just getting ready to order one.

MVC-006F.JPG

MVC-001F.JPG

Thanks Koolaid,

The pic was excatly what I was looking to see. Ordered today, can't wait to get it and get it running.

What kind of powerheads are those. I like the small size.

Bob

They are a Rio 50 and Rio 90.

Remember, the surface skimmer you ordered has a long pole coming out of the top for adjustments. It will fit the Eclipse 12 though, so no worries.

Hey, swordfish posted that webaquatics.com has a secret code you can enter to get an extra 5% off their normally low(ish) prices. One of the items that they sell is that surface skimmer thing (not the Prizm one) for about 15 bucks. Check other postings in this forum for the code (I should have copied it down!) The topic is something like "sale still on" or something like that.

V

Archived