Coral Vue Hydros

MH Ballast Questions

bgoode

As I understand it, the Aromat ballast is m98 and the wpi is m85. SE bulbs are m98 and DE bulbs are m85, but the aromat ballast will fire m85 de bulbs? If I wanted to get a 70w Iwasaki 6500k SE bulb, the aromat ballast willl work, but the wpi won't, is that correct? Basically, my question is, the aromat ballast will fire both se and de bulbs, while the wpi will only fire de?

Reefer_Buddha

im guessing this is the ballast you got from the classifieds here earlier today. If its an HQI ballast it will fire only hqi bulbs. It wont fire a normal SE unless its an HQI SE

That is not entirely true... HQI ballasts can fire regular bulbs as well I believe. They just tend to overdrive them a little...

HQI is merely a trademark of OSRAM to denote ballasts of quality that are intended to be used with HQI bulbs. They should run normal bulbs fine, if not a little brighter and hotter, as say a HQI ballast may put out 430watts to a 400watt bulb rather than the typical 370 or 400 that many else do. If you want to eliminate the 'compatibility' and wattage variables all together, get an electronic. It can run almost any bulb, even HQI.

Archived