Cultivated Reef

Cemeting vinyl tubing to pvc

fishieCJ

I am have trouble with leaking between my return line to a pvc elbow that goes to a bulk head. how would i glue these 2 pieces together? also im using a check valve on my return it is pvc how would i clue that to the soft tubing?

If it is regular clear/black soft tubing you are supposed to use hose barb fittings, they'll have a bunch at pretty much any hardware store. Hopefully your bulkhead and check valve have threaded fittings... If they are smooth slip fittings it is going to take 6-8 pieces of PVC.

For a 3/4" bulkhead to 3/4" vinyl tubing you have to do a street elbow, then a short piece of PVC pipe, then a slip->female thread adapter, then a barb->male thread adapter.

you probably won't be able to find slip x barb fittings. a slip x fpt elbow may work though, and get an mpt x barb to screw into that, then clamp the hose over the barb. if the bulkhead is slip, you'll have to glue a small section of PVC into the bulkhead and then glue the elbow onto that, unless you can find an fpt street elbow.

or what he said. ^

Loews has slip to barb. A piece of pvc into the bulkhead and then the slip to barb and call it a night. As long as its all the same size. Tubing,bulkhead, and pump exit. Eg 3/4" or 1".

i couldnt find any either, couldnt find slip to female thread that stayed 1" and didnt reduce, so i had to do a slip elbow with anyother piece glued into slip to female thread coup. everytime i would have a plan in there they would be missin 1 thing and id have to start. edit. over

a 3/4" fitting should go perfectly into a 1" fitting.

example: my return is 1", I have a 1" pvc SCH40 pipe running across the back of my tank, my LocLines are 3/4" along the 1" pipe I put a 1" tee, a 3/4" slip to female thread fits perfect into the 1" tee.

In your case to go from vinyl to pvc with the least amount of fittings, if all you can get is a 3/4" female thread to barb, then go with 1"pvc instead and cut out thread to slip adapters. The 3/4" thread to barb will fit into 1" fittings

I hope this makes sense - Will post pics after lights on tomorrow.

i already have a elbow cemented in my bulkhead ( i think it is a street elbow) so all i need is a slip x barb to pvc cement into that elbow then attach my vinyl tubing to that right?

i already have a elbow cemented in my bulkhead ( i think it is a street elbow) so all i need is a slip x barb to pvc cement into that elbow then attach my vinyl tubing to that right?

yup

Thanks alot guys. So where do I go about purchasing these slip x barbs? Lowes? HD? Also so I would just put 1 on each end of my check valve to attach the to that too?

Archived