Pod Your Reef

something worm?

londonaussie

hi guys,

I got this filter feeder on the weekend and I forgot it's name.

It's like a feather duster but it comes in a hard white tube.

And has two spirals of red featherlike fingers that roll up or extend. Looks similar to a christmas tree worm, but this one is red.....

Anyone?

Thanks.

Weren't you asking about the health of your common featherduster not a week ago, because you were unaware of what was wrong?

Why would you go and buy a much harder, and much more expensive, variety of this invert before coming to terms with the needs of the first one?

Personally, I think you are moving too quickly for someone that actually asks questions.

Less than a week between "I have no pods" and "The pods arrived, so I bought a mandarin." is another example.

slow down.

You're going to keep wasting money, as is evident with not knowing the price of the worm until you left. I'm a prime candidate for finger-pointing when it comes to wasting money, believe me, but I typically know what I am buying now. in the beginning, yes, I made a few purchases that I should not have, we all do.

Difference is, you've got a great resource here that you are using, but as a post-purchase verification source, not a pro-active research site. JMHO.

londonaussie

yeah your probably right.

but my water is all fine except for my phosphates which i recently only started testing on.

I have 130w of light over 20g.

I've had little algae in the tank.

The tank seemed like it would be able to support it.

There was no reason that i could see that stopped my duster from coming out originally. All my conditions were fine. And so I asked for some advice.

And now the feather duster and coco worm are out all the time now

and looking great.

Originally posted by londonaussie

I have 130w of light over 20g.

Not photosynthetic, so the lighting doesn't matter. I have a hawaiin duster that is some 6" across in a large area behid my rockwork in my65.

Originally posted by londonaussie

The tank seemed like it would be able to support it.

Yet, you didn't really know the needs. Glad to hear they are looking good. Most filter-feeders require the reefer to add nutrient to the water to the extent that it effects water parameters. Just be sure to keep up on your water changes and general water conditions, and you should be fine. Coco worms are the bomb.

londonaussie

Thanks for the info.

I'm feeding marinesnow and kent phytoplex atm. Hard to get live phtyo where I live atm. And I'm abit more regularly than what they recommend....

My cleaner shrimp however seems to be picking at the worm. and i've seen it snip off bits of the feathers!!!

Are you sure it's a cleaner shrimp (US vs UK descriptions)? If it is a peppermint shrimp (Lysmata wurdemanni) as shown below, they may be recommended for aiptasia control, but will eat tube worms and snails, too. Big dusters included.

p_89143.jpg

londonaussie

positive.

I have both in my tank. the peppermint has disposed of all the aiptasias and leaves everything alone.

the cleaner is getting to be abit of a worry. i was feeding heavily at one stage and it molted about 3 times in like 3 weeks and now is quite large. it regularly harrasses my corals looking for scraps.

So i wasn't sure about whether it was looking for food in coco worm or was actaully biting it until i saw some red bits come off.

I have to chase it away with a scrapper stick.

Do you know anything about neptheas? I have an orange and red one, about 3 stalks and it seems to only fully extend in the night..... I know they are filter feeders and light shouldn't be a problem. I can't find any info on this either.... Any ideas?

Archived