Top Shelf Aquatics

Tank for office?

bdmiller

I was wondering if anyone else is keeping a nano reef at their place of employment. I am gathering equipment for a 10 gallon which I intend to keep in my office. I'm worried about the weekends where I probably won't be able to come in and feed. Are there any hardy fish that can go two days without eating? Is anyone having any problems doing this?

Thank you

A lot of people keep nanos in their offices.  Most of the fish appropriate for a nano will be fine without food over the weekend.  I only feed my fish every other day as it is.

Clowns, grammas, damsels, etc, should all be fine.

HTH

Though I havent kept a tank in such an env.  I would think it would be fine.  Healthy fish can go upto two weeks without food.  Two days is fine, and who knows some fish in the wild probably dont even get to feed everyday like we feed them 3 times a day :)

I guess since other have done it and been successful, it should be fine.

Else, you can get a small auto feeder to administer food at set intervals over the weekend.  It should be fine without it though.

it will be fine. i feed my fish like once a week. as long as you dont overstock there will be plenty of critters like copepods and amphipods for your fish to eat.

what about water? How much water you have to add each day? At home, I have to add like almost 2l / day (it's 18gl + 3gl ref' tank). Wonder how much it will need for smaller tank in the office...

Vixyswillie
Quote: from bdmiller on 1:12 pm on June 24, 2002[br]I was wondering if anyone else is keeping a nano reef at their place of employment.

I'm planning the same thing, bd. Mine's going to be a 7g Mini-Bow. Biggest fears/challenges: temperature control (concerned about it getting too hot) and evaporation. As others have said, I don't think I'd worry about the fish too much.

I've got a 15tall at work and it's no problem.  Currently it's a fish/invert only w/o corals.  I've got about 20 lbs LR and a couple of PH for circulation.  I keep the lights on a timer, and use a heater for temp control.  I have a damsel (soon going away!) and 1 false percula.  Also, a couple of snails, 1 coral banded shrimp, and a mithrax crab.  I feed once daily and never on weekends.  I have every-other monday off so my fish don't get fed for 3 or more days at a time.  They're fine!  I replace about 1 gal or so per week due to evaporation, and change about 5 gal per month.

I have two reefs at home, but a Fish Only at work (too much to do at work tokeep up on a reef). I have a ocellaris and a damsel in my office tank and they are just fineduring the weekends. They've gotten used to their routine, and actually are incomplete darkness for almost 72 hours onthe weekend (I'm not lucky enough to see daylight from my office!). They've been kicking now for almost a year with no problems!

we have a 150 gallon tank in the office.  It was a fish and anemone tank but we are slowly bringing in corals.  I am hoping to snag a frag off the frogspawn that is already in the tank.  Of course I get the luxury of having someone else maintain this tank for me, it is my office after all.  

Guest AbSoluTc

I dunno bout you all, but I have no plans of bringing a reef to any of my places of employment!

I actually have plans on bringing the bodies of a couple people I know, TOO the reef and dumping them.  

WHAT?  Its food for the tangs!

I have my ALIFE tank at work. It gets lots of attention from everyone who stops by. One guy who was visiting the office called me yesterday to let me know he had bought an ALIFE tank and was setting it up at home after seeing my office Nano. I don't worry about my tank on weekends. The fish can survive a day or two with out food, and the tank can go without being topped off for at least as long. The office AC does not run on weekends unless someone comes in and turns it on, but it does not get over 80 and I run my Nano pretty close to that temp anyway. So go for it.  

Archived