Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Empty's first salt tank!

Empty

Hi all!

I am a longtime FW tank keeper. I just set up my first salt tank ever- a 5 gallon bowfront!

Pics here. (Hey, what'd you expect? :D)

Specs:

Size: 5g

Water movement: Whisper mini (no media, heater inside), Aquaclear 201 PH(may replace AC with Mini-jet)

Heat: VisiTherm 50w (replacing with 25w Ebo Jager soonish)

Chemistry: pH 8.4 salinity 1.0245 SG

Live rock: Fiji, mostly branch with one hunk of base, 7 lbs

Live sand: Sand du jour, 5 lbs

Light: 13w PC (being replaced with 2x13w PC + reflector from AHSupply, both bulbs 50/50)

The tank has been up a few hours- I am hoping the sediment will settle soon (note to self: turn off filter + PHs next time I add sand to a tank).

Next steps:

1) Add 1 astrea snail and 2-3 red or scarlet legged hermits (2-4 weeks hence, depending on cycle... My LR has been sitting in the dealers tank for a month or more)

2) Add 1 royal gramma and first coral (zoos, star polyps, or mushrooms- another 2-4 weeks after 1)

3) Add 1 Coral Banded Shrimp and next coral(one from list above, timeframe as above)

4) Slowly stock more corals. List includes:

- Pulsing xenia

- Ricordea

- Something for the sand area (do I have enough light for a tridacnid clam, given the shortness of the tank?)

- a few acripora species

- Leathers

- feather dusters

So, does anyone see any problems with this setup?

~Empty

An MH on this tank would likely melt it- it is acrylic :)

I will consider doing that, though.

I have also considered using a few of the screw-in PC lights that people here have been using. If I do this, I will not be able to retrofit my existing hood, though. Then again, I may be making a canopy for it anyway, since I just got my 2x13w PC setup and the reflector is much longer than the tank.

~Empty

You seem to have an eye on sps and clams. I would go with the 70 watt MH. Keep it a few inches above the tank and it wont melt:) I have a 150 watt MH and 32 watts of actinic planned for a 10 gallon hard coral tank.

Gluck

Jeff

Honestly, there are quite a few softies and LPS I like a lot- Xenia, ricordea, button polyps, star polyps, candy cane, and a few others. Some I am ruling out, as I am trying to make a low-aggression tank (since it is small) and some are ruled out by virtue of rapid encrusting growth(montipora). Does anyone have any mildly-to-moderately aggressive corals to suggest?

I may try the MH suggestion- I remember how hot my friends ran, but then again they were 300 watts each, so a 70 might be disproportionately cooler (IE less than 7/30s as hot).

As for the acripora, I realize I won't get much growth, but aren't there some species that are less light-needy? I did the math and I am pushing 72% as much light per gallon as Brooklyn Johnny up there... and that's before factoring in the fact that my wee 5g is not as tall as a 10. If I added a third 13w, I'd have *more* light than him(comparatively). Then again, I am hoping to not have to drip 1/2 gallon of kalk nightly- that sounds uncomfortable, and dangerous in such a small volume of water.

The clam question is one I was not even going to ask, were it not for considerations of marital bliss :) My wife is in love with them. Yesterday when we went to pick up the LR and LS she was asking about some scary stuff:

"I like this baby bulb tipped rose anenome, would he be OK?"

"How about this hammer coral?"

"Wow, can we have some of these harlequin shrimp?"

"How about this little banggai cardinal? Would he fit?"

Spousal education *is* occurring, slowly but surely :D

~Empty

watts per gallon is a myth. especially on small tanks. a 1w light over a thimble of water might give you 1000w per gallon. but its not going to grow any coral.

also, MH is preferred over for other reasons, intensity, wider color spectrum etc...

just stick with montipora if you must have sps, leave the acro in the sea.

Originally posted by unsped

watts per gallon is a myth. especially on small tanks. a 1w light over a thimble of water might give you 1000w per gallon. but its not going to grow any coral.

Yes, I know that WPG is a myth, as there are many many other factors. Attenuation of light by water depth/clarity or cover glass, attenuation due to distance, etc. As I said, I am a plant tank keeper :)

That said, slightly more powerful lighting (in my estimation) is being used quite successfully to gro SPS and clams in the aforementioned nanoreefers tank. Regardless, I will not even think about SPS for many many months.

also, MH is preferred over for other reasons, intensity, wider color spectrum etc...

Hrmm, did not know the color spectrum thing... I will have to look that up.

just stick with montipora if you must have sps, leave the acro in the sea.

I will for the time being :)

~Empty

Archived