Innovative Marine Aquariums

Best Nano Protein Skimmer?

reefer916

I was thinking about adding a protein skimmer to my 24 gallon Aquapod that I've had for a year now. It's a mixed reef with SPS, LPS, zoa's, and paly's. I know I over feed my tank and that's why I do daily 1-2 gallon water changes and a larger water change once a week. My water quality is great with stable params, but I want to cutback on my water changes to at most 2 a week.

I have a protein skimmer in my 95 gallon and am familiar with how they work, but I haven't done any research on the nano's. What are your experiences with the different skimmers? I appreciate any of your experiences.

Thanks,

Chris

thadscottmoore
I have heard nothing but good things about the aquaticlife internal mini skimmer 115. I have no personal experience with it though.

I have the aquaticlife mini skimmer- it rocks!!!

I have the aquaticlife mini skimmer- it rocks!!!

i hate mine =(

the slurping is annoying and the micro bubbles just killed it for me...

had to do a bunch of mods to get it "working"

for the money i would just get something else.

hang on the back stuff is the way to go if u want a good skimmer.

thadscottmoore
i hate mine =(

the slurping is annoying and the micro bubbles just killed it for me...

had to do a bunch of mods to get it "working"

for the money i would just get something else.

hang on the back stuff is the way to go if u want a good skimmer.

haha, you havent heard slopping noise to you hear the stock skimmer for the RSM.- that air line and mixing chamber can make some noise! The Aquaticlife is far more quiet than that one. It took some tuning, but- it seems all skimmers take some tuning and break in period. I have my skimmer in a sump with bubble traps- so, micro-bubbles are not a concern to me.

I'll check it out..

Have you heard about the Tunze nano skimmer? Is it worth the $160?

It is a very popular skimmer and yes it is worth the money. In the AP24 it will only fit if you do not have the hood on the tank.

Mine is a TMC Nano V2Skimmer 80 in a 15G.

IMG_27712.jpg

IMG_2770.jpg

IMG_2714.jpg

IMG_2711.jpg

Hanged in a HOB filter - Lol - To reduce micro-bubbles in the tank.

Powered by AquaBee UP500 is working flawlessly and silently

Regards

Not Expensive!!! This is like 45 Us Dollars plus an average Pump.

Really cheap stuff and very efficient.

Regards

i meant the Warner Marine H1. =)

your post just poped up before mine =/

It is a very popular skimmer and yes it is worth the money. In the AP24 it will only fit if you do not have the hood on the tank.

Thanks, I've been looking and reading reviews on the Tunze and it seems pretty good. I have a 20" Sunpod MH setup on my AP24. Do you guys know where the cheapest place to buy it is? Marine Depot has them for a little over $160. One of my LFS's usually gives things to me at almost cost, so I'll check them out. Thanks guys for all of the information. Now I need to frag up some stuff to pay for it:)

I have also heard some good reviews about the aquaticlife internal mini skimmer 115. I might be picking one up myself. I still have the stock skimmer that came with my Solana, and I hate it. I might try modding it but not sure how to.haha

I have also heard some good reviews about the aquaticlife internal mini skimmer 115. I might be picking one up myself. I still have the stock skimmer that came with my Solana, and I hate it. I might try modding it but not sure how to.haha

I'll check out the aquaticlife skimmer as well. It's interesting because I'm horrible at building things and modding things as well, but I have friends who are reefers who build almost everything. They're usually the engineers. My brain doesn't work like that. That's why I have to buy my new stuff instead of modding...haha

Don't worry Bruce, I got the aquaticlife internal mini skimmer 115 laying inside my Solana and it has been doing an amazing job! i just got it a few days ago and i will probably get back into the hobby soon.

OClownsandNanos

If you are worried at all about overflow, stick to an internal skimmer. I've got the Tunze Nano and it works great - I accidentally adjusted the air valve way too loose and wasn't watching it and it would've gone all over the floor if the thing hadn't fed right back into the tank since it was sitting inside it. The Tunze is super quiet too. I'd recommend it.

The url is an octopus LX-1000. I don't see a separate area for the bubbles to pop before entering the tank???? maybe there is an acrylic baffle on the other side of the bubbles.

Archived