Innovative Marine Aquariums

Room for a heater

bleu8

hi all

I am interested in your opinions on the best H.O.B power filters that would contain a 50 or 100 watt tronic or ebo jager heater.

I am planning to set up an 18g Via Aqua and want minimal equipment showing in the main tank.

I considered an aquaclear 300/500 but I am not yet interested in a Refugium. Would a 50 watt tronic be Ok in a climate controlled environment?

Many thanks in advance for any input!

Cheers

Bleu

your best bet would be to put it in the tank 50w is to little the water might be moving to quick for it to heat up but i migt be wrong. the ac is the one with the most room.

high w's and cheep plastic dont mix

Originally posted by rapier0

your best bet would be to put it in the tank 50w is to little the water might be moving to quick for it to heat up but i migt be wrong. the ac is the one with the most room.

high w's and cheep plastic dont mix

Yeah, this is way off. Heat energy will more readily transfer to a moving fluid than a stationary fluid. If nano-reef.org could handle LaTex tags, I'd spend way too much time showing a few equations showing the dynamics of heat transfer; however this isn't the case, so I'll simply point you to a web site if you would like to learn a little (this is boring stuff, I generally wouldn't recommend it).

The HOB would end up being a single pass heat exchanger which is briefly discussed on this site: http://www.mas.ncl.ac.uk/~sbrooks/book/nis...p13/node21.html

In the end the ammount of heat transfer is directly proportional to the mass flow rate of the fluid. Since much of the heat produced by the heater would be carried away to the aquarium, I don't think there would be a risk of melting the plastic. If you do something like this remember to change the floss often otherwise the rate a heat transfer will go down, and a localized hot spot could/will form possible melting the plastic.

Well, good luck...

yeah thats true but a low watt hwater wouldnt heat it enouhg

and the closer the heater is to the water being put into the aquarium the better

water loses heat faster the longer it has to travel and the more its oxigenated espacially if its a hob and more if it waterfalls in the return

i tell him becouse ive tried to heat up a 5g with 50w in a hob not enouh to much water volume

keep it inside were there is a good flow of water

as for melting the plastic i meant if it touches it youll prob never mealt the plastic but y risk it

get the ac you get a fuge and its big enogh for a good heater

A 50w Visitherm works great inside a CPR BakPak second chamber. I have this on my 20 and have never had a problem. I use a 25w inside my Via Aqua 418LW , I laid it on its side behind the live rock so it doesn't show since it would not fit well in my Prizm.

Archived