Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

all movement has ceased! nevermind, back to normal now! :)

sjh9902

sorry for the double post (also posted this under all-in-one under my tank post) but I am really hoping for an answer!

Hoping you can help me out here?

We have a BC29 set up for 2 weeks now.

Tonight we noticed that there was no movement from our snails or crabs. And the mushroom coral (hitchiker) closed up completely. we ran the tests and ammonia, nitrites,and nitrates were 0. ph was 8.4.

we did notice that the tank temp was up to 80 and the salinity was up to 1.028. would this have caused this? We topped off will fresh water and that brought the salinity back down to 1.025 turned the lights off so hopefully temp goes down soon.

will the snails, crabs and coral recover from this? or did we kill them?

we realize now that we have been running the lights to long. ( about 10-12 hours) oops! we are going to limit that and eventually get a timer for that. that may have been what raised the temp.

the temp and the salinity were both at acceptable levels. if the tank is only a couple weeks old it's possible there is still some cycling going on. have you tested for ammonia or nitrite?

Parameters seems ok. Did you acclimate your CUC? Sometimes the change of scenerio without proper acclimation can stress out live stocks. Just curious, you mention it's only two weeks since it been up, how did you cycle the tank? Live rocks? Live sand? Two weeks, is there even any algaes yet?

yes there was algea. the tank was started with 25lb LR and 20 LS. yeas the tank is still cycling but some of the crabs and the coral were hitchhikers. when we saw a a bit of algea forming we added a couple more crabs and some snails. Everything has been fine after the night of the problem. everyone is still alive and well and there is lots of algea in the tank lately for them to clean up.

our thought are that either we left the lights on too long, or the salinity was too high. If not spacifically the salinity then maybe the shock of the fresh water when we topped off. thanks you all for all the input.

Archived