Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

RO/DI Pressure Help?

FiRsT-aNd-LaSt

FiRsT-aNd-LaSt

Well I just received my SpectraPure Maxcap today and I'm following the instructions doing the rinse procedure, but I'm only getting a PSI of 36, in the instructions it states anything under 40psi and you'll need a booster pump, my question is can I get by without it and or even squeeze an extra 4psi somehow or do I have no other option and have to purchase a booster pump?

It will probably work you just won't get as much water out as you would if it were 40psi. I wonder if an aqualifter would help???? I just bought a RODI and it is producing about 75% or so of what it is supposed to.

FiRsT-aNd-LaSt

Yeah I have no idea but the DI chambers fill up very very slow which I'm sure are suppose to, but I haven't even bothered installing the DI filters yet, during the rinse procedure it requires you to remove them and run it for 20min without them. My tds coming in is about 125ppm and leaving the ro is 1ppm, I just don't want to put in the di filters if it's not going to use them efficiently.

Hold your finger over the waste line or kink the very end and see what the pressure rises to. Its possible you are wasting much more than 4:1 at this point until the flow restrictor is trimmed meaning excess pressure is being lost through the waste. If the pressure rises sufficiently you may be OK once the flow restrictor is trimmed to the correct length. If not 36 psi is going to be very tough especially if you have cold water too. Even if you had the optimal 77 degree water temperature your output would only be 51 GPD and the quality will suffer. If your wate rtemp is more like 50 in the winter that cuts you to 30 GPD and water quality would be horrible.

40 would be the absolute minimum pressure and even then its not great, Spectrapure suggests 60 and I run my booster pump at 90-100 for higher quality and 120 GPD or so output.

An aqualifetr is no use for an RO/DI system, you need an Aquatec booster pump at about $125 if the pressure is not sufficient.

FiRsT-aNd-LaSt

Well my tap water temp was 49.8 lol and even with my finger over the waste line the pressure didn't change, so it looks like I'll need a booster pump, I was hoping to do without one but that doesn't look like a good option, at least I got the ro/di on sale from marinedepot before they went back up in price i guess, I might have been the last one, I hate to spend another $100 bucks, the unit says it was manufactured only 10 days ago so i thought that was nice, I'm not sure if this sale is still going on but would this pump be what I'm looking for since I plan on filling up my jugs manually. BPHF-MO-115 High Flow Booster Pump Kit I would just go get it in person but Im just not up to the drive down to Tempe.

Is that pump basically a Aquatec 8800 and transformer, if so I might be able to find a better deal, TB Aquatics has it on there ebay store for about $119 shipped, do i need any special fitting for a booster pump or does it have everything attached/built in?

I would get this one with the pressure switch for $125.

BPHF-PS-093-115. One day down the road you may decide to automate things with an ATO or storage reservoir and it is perfect for that. Make sure the pump you are getting is an Aquatec 8800 and not another brand, there are some really cheesy knock offs on the market right now. I believe the pump will be plumbed for the 1/4" lines and ready to go.

Archived