ReefCleaners.org

Bryopsis Eradication

Kittysnax

Day 7:

Mg Test BEFORE todays dose: 1520

Added 3 capfuls of Kent Tech-M after test.

Notes:

- Photo-period of 3 hours

- Having to clean my Korialas and AC70 intake of debris

- Still noticing a thinning and loss of color.

FTS Day 7:

DSC01576.jpg

3 rocks:

DSC01577.jpg

DSC01578.jpg

DSC01579.jpg

That looks like a major pain in the ass. Good luck with it.

lol thanks!

It is and it isnt. It is in the fact its an eyesore and I am learning with this the key is PATIENCE.....its soooo hard not to just reach in there and stir things up LOL

But on the other hand it isnt because really the Kent is seeming to do all the work rofl!

Day 7 - Evening

LIGHTLY scrubbed the rocks......its WORKING. Most fell off with little coaxing, but some stubborn strands still remain deeply rooted in place. I netted/basted out the debris as best I could.

FTS:

DSC01582.jpg

3 Rocks:

DSC01583.jpg

DSC01584.jpg

DSC01585.jpg

"...and on the EIGHTH DAY she rested..."

Day 8:

Mg Test: 1580

Did not dose today, letting it cook

Notes:

- Having to clean my Korialas and AC70 intake of debris

- Majority deteriorated under the light brushing of a toothbrush

- Got out as much debris as possible

FTS Day 8:

DSC01586.jpg

3 Rocks:

DSC01587.jpg

DSC01588.jpg

DSC01589.jpg

If I would have seen this thread earlier :) You can safely dose magnesium up to 100ppm per day. That's what I have done with my tank (and did it with my previous 90). Since mine is a 75 gallon with a 30 gallon sump/fuge I had to add almost 700-800 ml daily :o.

My tank looks just like yours only the bryopsis is covering all my rocks, coming from the sand and tufts all over the back wall. I now have varying stages of green, yellow, white clumps and it breaks off much easier now. Isn't it amazing how deep rooted it is in the beginning? You can scrub hard and it doesn't break off!

It's nice to see it gone, isn't it?! Looks good. I like your scaping too.

rofl! thanks guys!

Yea there is still some deeply rooted stalks hangin on, but Id say in person, 90-95% of it is gone. I might go back over the rocks again tonight with a toothbrush, not sure. I'm kinda tired. :lol:

How long would you say it took you to get completely clean like that? Mine is significantly better. But I still have varying stages with some of it still pretty green. I think some of it may be hair algae.

But I did notice that the Mag seemed to affect my brittle stars. Unless they starved to death. But I only had 3 small ones that came in as HH and they all died. I'm assuming from the high Mag. And the Astrea snails don't like it either. I added 6 of them (after the Mag) and only have 1 left.

How long would you say it took you to get completely clean like that? Mine is significantly better. But I still have varying stages with some of it still pretty green. I think some of it may be hair algae.

But I did notice that the Mag seemed to affect my brittle stars. Unless they starved to death. But I only had 3 small ones that came in as HH and they all died. I'm assuming from the high Mag. And the Astrea snails don't like it either. I added 6 of them (after the Mag) and only have 1 left.

For me, it took about 8-9 days. Right now there isnt a spec/strand/root in sight. I also have NOT done a water change either. I basically just left it to cook and nothing in the tank seems stressed or upset from it. If I had to guess, my MG is probably around 17/1800 I dont really know anymore, I stopped testing pretty much the last time I posted the results here lol.

I started noticing drastic changes once I popped over 1300, which took my awhile because I started at 980. So basically my beliefs now is that it can NOT withstand 1300 and over. 1600 Seems to be ideal.

I would definitely be interested in a update 2 months after you let you mag drop back down to normal levels please keep us posted.

I would definitely be interested in a update 2 months after you let you mag drop back down to normal levels please keep us posted.

Ive done about 2 wc's so far and still none in sight. /knocks on wood

Its been about 2 weeks since I stopped dosing so only 6 more weeks to go LOL

• 4 months later...

Archived