Cultivated Reef

I guess I screwed up

horsehunter

I bought a coral without researching it (Carnation - Dendro). I guess this is what happens when you drive 3 hours one way to buy marine stuff and they don't have the things you were looking for. Being it was 3 months since I was last down to the city I didn't want to home home empty handed and really liked the colour.

The dealer said they were not hard to keep and never mentioned that they were nonphotosyntic (spelling).

I need some advice on how to treat this coral taking it back is not an option and if possible would like to make this thing thrive.

Frank

try preparing some small particulate fresh foods (pureed shrimp w/shell, shellfish, fish w/guts).

try to learn the feeding periods of the coral, usually nocturnal ime but sometimes diurnal (might be evidence of extreme hunger, not sure). actually, i think/suspect they're constant feeders, reacting to the presence of food rather than any type of photoperiods, regular or reverse.

medium to slow flow should be good. (3"~<1" per sec.) good live rock and sheltered (cryptic?) environments may also significantly help.

not a very high survival rate on this coral. actually, pretty ####-poor is the general consensus currently. expensive and difficult, you might as well throw alimony at it. X) good luck!

Dendro's are notoriously hard to keep. I ran into a similiar siutation, buying one before I fully understood what it was. (The LFS sold it as a cauliflower coral). Mine was in a 10 and only lasted 2 months. They need an almost constant supply of phytoplankton, moderate current and I believe they can actually be harmed by strong lighting though I may be mistaken. They are typically found in caves/overhangs. Use DT's, put it in a sheltered overhang, target feed and hope for the best.

• 3 months later...

according to Sprung the dendro feeds on fish waste, phytoplankton, zooplankton, and marine snow. unfortunately depending on the genus yours actually is, it is only rated a 1-3 in hardiness on a 10 point scale.

Reefer_Buddha
The dealer said they were not hard to keep and never mentioned that they were nonphotosyntic (spelling).

You can tell your dealer pal his head is squarely embedded up his ass. Noone should be selling dendro under the idea they are "easy" ask birdman how "easy" they are to keep. Take it back, slap that dumbass's face and get your money back.

thats not a bad idea buddha i suppose that when the retailer misrepresents his product you deserve a refund but the 3 hour tour to take it back would be pretty discouraging

Archived