Cultivated Reef

nano hqi kH Question

seniorgreenpants

seniorgreenpants

My kH was low this morining when I did a test... like below 100. but the only life I have is in my sig. so im wondering do I need to start dosing? or can I get away with a water change? Everything else is normal ph spot on. no trates or trites and im at 1.026. so... if I do Do something what should I do.

My kH was low this morining when I did a test... like below 100. but the only life I have is in my sig. so im wondering do I need to start dosing? or can I get away with a water change? Everything else is normal ph spot on. no trates or trites and im at 1.026. so... if I do Do something what should I do.

When you do a water change, what is the new water's kH? What is "spot on" for pH? Your pH will fluctuate with night/day and could become unstable with a low KH. How often do you do a water change? kH is one of the parameters you should keep as consistent as possible. So if you do weekly water changes and in between that week you see that the kH is dropping too much, you might want to start dosing. You will eventually have to do this once you get more livestock in the tank. For example, I do a weekly water changes on Sunday. On Sunday, my dKH is 9 and by Wednesday morning the dKH 8, so i'll add a scoop of Bio Calcium (combined 2 part additive). This will bring my dKH back to 9 and adds calcium. I'll need to repeat on Saturday or it could wait until Sunday for my next water change. Hope this helps.

Also you might want to lower your SG to 1.025. A good range is 1.203-1.025.

Archived