SaltCritters.com

1.021...! How do I go about raising it?

porksoda

Well I did a water change today and now my salinity is down from 1.024 to 1.021.

How bad is that actually?

How do I go about raising it up back to 1.024?

I have been using Instant Ocean Sea Salt.

I keep my temp at 78 degrees.

My tank is a 10 gallon. I did a 2 gallon water change.

I do a 2 gallon water change every 2 weeks.

I did not thing different from my normal routine.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Add more salt. Jk. Just make up another batch of water, make it a little saltier, take out 1/2-1 cup of tank water, add saltier water, wait, and repeat. If you have anything delicate do it slow otherwise just give it a few minutes.

Maybe I should have been a little more specific.

Everytime I have made salt water it has been almost perfectly set at 1.024, but I have never had to add any since it is low now.

Do I just mix up a little bit of salt in a cup of warm water and mix it in the tank water?

Add more salt. Jk. Just make up another batch of water, make it a little saltier, take out 1/2-1 cup of tank water, add saltier water, wait, and repeat. If you have anything delicate do it slow otherwise just give it a few minutes.

Thanks alot! I really appreciate the help!

You can also use evaporation to raise the s.g. and then top off with saltwater at the correct s.g.

+1, that's what I would do. Let the water evaporate until your SG corrects itself. Then add fresh Salt water with the proper SG. You don't want to be adding salt or mixing salt water in a cup of water because you don't know how much it'll increase your SG.

captainbastard
+1, that's what I would do. Let the water evaporate until your SG corrects itself. Then add fresh Salt water with the proper SG. You don't want to be adding salt or mixing salt water in a cup of water because you don't know how much it'll increase your SG.

+2 works great, what are you using to check it?

I'd either top off with saltwater or I would use 1.026 or so for your next WC... either way make sure you're testing your tank water and your mixed water with the same equipment (no matter what you're using).

NaClCrocodile

As mentioned above, topping it off with salt water should get you right where you want to be. I'm running a ten as well, here's how I mix my water:

1. Have a gallon (or two) of fresh water

2. Add salt one at a time by the teaspoon, taking note of how many you have added

3. Wait five minutes (while mixing either by hand or with a maxijet)

4. Test water for correct SG

5. Repeat steps 2-4 until desired SG is reached

6. # of teaspoons/gallons of water = teaspoons/gallon

7. Add salt from final number from step six to a cup (or whatever) and mark it off

Now you've got your exact measurements.

OClownsandNanos

To ensure this doesn't happen again, you should always be testing the SG of your newly mixed salt water before you add it to the tank. You should be matching specific gravity and temperature of the old and new water before any additions every single time.

first remember to check SG before putting the water in.

i think the best way is to top off with saltwater. if u cant w8 then water change will slightly higher SG.

Whatever you do do it slowly. If you don't have coral or inverts you could leave it at this salinity if you choose too. I would just top off daily with sw myself.

I have been topping off with saltwater everyday. Its slowly making its way back up.

Thanks everyone for there help!

• 3 weeks later...

Meh.. I've been sprinkling small handfuls of salt in/around the PH to raise mine. Going up about 0.0005 a day.. I don't have any delicate LS though, at the moment :P

Archived