ReefCleaners.org

ph 7.4.... what can i do to raise it?

mg0465a

my fault.. just checked.. its 7.65... but thats still kinda low right? i just did a water change a few minutes ago..

hmmm, how old is your tank ? any type of fuge, or reverse lit area? the 24/7 lit fuge really helped stabilize my pH.

the tank is 3 months old... in my signature u can see all that i have

Has the weather been cold and do you have gas heat? More gas heat = higher CO2 levels = lower pH.

You could run your skimmer air intake outside somehow to raise pH if you have elevated CO2 inside.

What kind of salt are you using? Also, that's a pretty significant drop. Look into a better test kit or bring a sample of water to a trusted LFS. You could always add Ph buffer, but you need to find out what the reason is for the sharp drop. Have you started dosing anything? What are the rest of your water specs?

Mine kept dropping too, but it was the ph probe needed recalibrating so I read some articles on ph and reef keeping.

They pretty much all said that variations in ph happen quite a bit in home reef tanks and as long as calcium, alk and mag were kept within parameters that ph readings were not something to worry about.

I unhooked my ph probe over a month ago and have yet to test the ph.

And the results?

Less worry, cost (less spent on all the buffers and such) and corals/fish are all doing fine.

note:calcium, alk and mag must be stable along with proper nutrient export/maintenance procedures I am sure.

Archived