inTank Media Baskets

Another Best RO/DI Question, But...........

FiRsT-aNd-LaSt

FiRsT-aNd-LaSt

I've came to the conclusion that I'm sick of having to lug jugs to and from the store so I'm deciding to finally take the plunge and order me a ro/di, I understand that SpectraPure is pretty much the best on the market, so that's what I'm shooting for, but in order for me to get one, my wife want's me to also have it supply drinking water. What do I need, I see spectrapure's website has add on kits, but at over $100 more is there a better option?

Looking at the link here the maxcap is $249 on sale but after tax and shipping it comes out to $300, I'm wondering is this the same thing for $269 shipped at marine depot, or if there's a better deal elsewhere.

Also I figure it uses 1/4 tubing correct? Does the unit come with a Feed Water Adapter for under the sink, and should I get a Flush Valve Kit, is it worth it.

LOL

I just spoke with someone at Spectrapure earlier about this. They told me to add a 3 way ball valve with some tubing to have a bypass for drinking water without using container.

FiRsT-aNd-LaSt
LOL

I spoke with someone earlier about this. they told me to add a 3 way ball valve with some tubing to have a bypass for drinking water without using container.

Yeah I just discovered that on the spectrapure webstie, HERE at the bottom of the page, will it work? If so I'll probably just get that, as I don't really care for a holding tank, I'll just fill up our containers as we need it.

If you want pressurized drinking water and a faucet you will need a drinking water kit which includes the pressure tank, faucet, check valve and autoshutoff valve.

If you just want to manually fill a pitcher or jug occasionally you can get by with the tee and ball valve or 3 way valve but it will be very slow, about 3 gallons per hour tops.

Yes the MaxCap at Marine Depot is a better deal with the free shipping and no sales tax for those of us in the outer fringes of AZ. I usually go to Spectrapure and pick my stuff up myself and save the shipping, they are right around the corner from the old About The Reef which moved to Sciottsdale but the building is being reopened as a new LFS in less than a month. It might be worth making a trip down to the valley and checking out the new store once it opens then picking up the new RO/DI from the factory.

FiRsT-aNd-LaSt

Thanks AZDesertRat, well I figured for now I'll just fill up jugs manually and in the future get me a full kit, Just so im have this correct, all I need is the 3way ball valve with extra 1/4 inch hose which connects between the ro to di line correct? And a feed water adapter to connect the whole thing under the sink. Also do you recommend the flush valve kit?

Flush valves have no proven value, thats why Spectrapure does not supply them with any of their systems.Yes, you will need something to hook it to your cold water supply, it comes with a hose bib adapter which I used to hook it to my washing machine supply line. For under the sink you will need some way to tap into the sinks cold water line, either a self tapping saddle valve, tee that inserts right off the cold water valve or a tee inserted into the copper line if you have copper. You will also need a ball valve to shut it off if you plan to leave it hooked up and a drain saddle tee to send the waste to the P trap and sewer.

FiRsT-aNd-LaSt

Thanks again, you've been a great help, I think I'll be going with the sink route, I would connect it to my washer machine line like you, but I was worried that it would spend the life of the filters faster because there copper pipes and I was worried about them leaching copper, and it make the filters do more, do you think it'll make any difference.

Copper pipes before a RO system is not an issue, all homes around here are copper even to the kitchen sink, or at least the valve in the wall. Back in the 1990's the EPA enacted the Lead and Copper Rule which makes water utilities monitor their lead and copper as well as pH and Langlier Index. Basically what this means is if lead and/or copper are found in any appreciable level the Utility must do chemical treatment to raise the pH and Langlier Index of the water so your pipes build up a slight scale to reduce or eliminate the dissolving of lead and copper into solution in the water. It was never really a problem in the Valley as our water is hard enough and scales all by itself.

Copper is only an issue after the water has passed through the membrane and DI resin and is very agressive, it is looking to get back to its natural dirty state so attracts anything it can leach out of pipes, plastic or the air to get some ions back. Your washer cold water line is a good way to feed a RO/DI system.

• 3 weeks later...

AZDesertRat - you seem to know your stuff with the RO/DI and have convinced me to go with SpectraPure (after reading quite a bit)

Only problem is everytime I try to get to their site - it will not load. I can go to Marine Depot or Petstore.com (or many other places) but I would like to order from them directly. Sounds like you know them pretty well - is there some contact info or anything you can provide?

Thanks,

B

Archived