Top Shelf Aquatics

RO Water from Save On Foods

johnyens

Hello,

I found that the Save On foods near me has RO water. I was wondering if I should use this? I have tested it for Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate and PH. The only thing that looks a little high is the PH which is around 8-8.2.

With the water I was using before I was using Prime, should I continue to do this?

I am a noob so please be kind! Thank you!

Any help is appreciated!

-John

A pH measurement of RO or RO/DI will never be accurate since there are too few ions to measure.

The only measurement that means anything is going to be TDS and you have not done that one. If the TDS is near 0 then it probably safe to use.

Do not use Prime or other treatments with RO or RO/DI water.

I was using water from one of those Glacier windmill machines in front of kroger...But after finally getting a TDS meter and checking the water and seeing 279Tds I bought my own RO/DI filter...I dont have it permently hooked up i use it as i need water....But after running 10g through the thing My TDS is now down to .09...To hell with the windmill machines...I mean i tested some of my cheap Kroger bottled water it read 145tds...You would like to think the windmill machine would be better than cheap bottled water...

gmod, I doubt you have a .09 TDS, there are no hobbyist grade TDS meters that measure in hundredths and only one that measures in tenths, the HM Digital COM-100. Even though it may appear its a decimal point it is not so your TDS is 9. If that is the case you may want to take a look at your DI resin and RO rejection to see what is in need of replacement.

Vending machines are not regulated by any health agencies so can be whatever, most are only check by the Dept. of weights and measures to ensure you get a full gallon for your quarter or whatever. Most bottled waters are only tested for coliform bacteria and not TDS so again its up to the vendor to maintain their equipment.

Thanks for the reply everyone!

Looks like I should invest in a TDS meter...

I am trying to figure out where to get water from. Or if I should just buy a RO/DI filter and try and make it myself. In the meantime I am not sure what water to use. I think my best bet for right now is to use the RO water from Save On since its bound to be better than my tap water.

If anyone has any other suggestions please let me know. Thank you all for the information!

-John

gmod, I doubt you have a .09 TDS, there are no hobbyist grade TDS meters that measure in hundredths and only one that measures in tenths, the HM Digital COM-100. Even though it may appear its a decimal point it is not so your TDS is 9. If that is the case you may want to take a look at your DI resin and RO rejection to see what is in need of replacement.

Vending machines are not regulated by any health agencies so can be whatever, most are only check by the Dept. of weights and measures to ensure you get a full gallon for your quarter or whatever. Most bottled waters are only tested for coliform bacteria and not TDS so again its up to the vendor to maintain their equipment.

Thanks for the reply everyone!

Looks like I should invest in a TDS meter...

I am trying to figure out where to get water from. Or if I should just buy a RO/DI filter and try and make it myself. In the meantime I am not sure what water to use. I think my best bet for right now is to use the RO water from Save On since its bound to be better than my tap water.

If anyone has any other suggestions please let me know. Thank you all for the information!

-John

Do you have a LFS near you? Most of them will sell RO/DI water. Usually for around $.50 a gal.

The unit is brand new...Plus I wasnt really having any problem with the water i got from the windmill machine and now being that iam so much lower TDS Iam not really worried about it...And your right Iam new to measuring TDS but thanks for that info...

Thanks for the suggestion I will check into it.

Do you have a LFS near you? Most of them will sell RO/DI water. Usually for around $.50 a gal.

Sounds like maybe I should buy a TDS meter and test the RO water from Save On.

I use the same Glacier water from my local Kroger and my TDS meter reading is 0. My tap water only read 36 though.

Archived