ReefCleaners.org

inverts

yoda

You can keep pretty much any invert in there (except stuff that gets really big like a horseshoe crab). The only thing you may want to consider is weather they are reef-safe or not. If your planning on getting corals there are certain species of large hermit crabs and shrimp that can be a threat. The combo I have is 1 scarlet skunk shrimp (aka cleaner shrimp), 4 astrea snails, 4 bumblebee snails, and 5 zebra hermit crabs . . so far no problems at all . . there are tons of other options but if your considering any of those I've had no problems with them at all.

d.

yoda, you want to go with diverity when choosing inverts for your nano. Get several different types of snails. Nassarius are great sand stirrers and detritus eaters, buble bees are nocturnal detritus eaters, cerith will stir the sand and also clean the glass, astrea, nerits and margaritas are all excellent glass cleaners. Stay away from turbos as they tend to be rather large and plow down anything in their path.

If you go the hermit crab route buy them tiny and provide plenty of extra shells for them to grow into. They do grow quickly and will kill the snails for thier shells if they don't have an assortment to choose from.

Stay away from starfish in your nano, most stars (ie. serpents, brittles, linkia, choc chip) get too big for nanos.

Originally posted by GPCRalph

Will horsehoe crabs interfere with a deep sand big assuming the tank were large enough for one?

What the heck is a deep sand big?

And yah . . pretty much everything in my tank is an invert besides my one fish. So as Kennerd said might help to be more specific.

Don't bother with the horseshoe crab. I was using it as an example of something thats not suitable for a nano - they can grow to over a foot long and arent terribly hardy. Theres lots of options so I'm sure you'll find some stuff you like that will work out - as I mentioned before you're safe with small hermits, snails, crabs, shrimps . . etc. I love my zebra hermits, they're a riot to watch and super easy to care for.

d.

Archived