SaltCritters.com

Maxpect G2 160W

Bio_Borg

So I ordered a Maxspect 160W G2 from Fish-street.com for my new Cadlights 50G artisan (which is on backorder and I am still waiting on), and due to the interest and trepidation concerning commercial, and moreso foreign, LED units, I thought I'd post my findings here for the benefit of the nano-reef community. I researched Pacific Sun, EcoLamp, and AI, before deciding on the Maxspect. I won't lie, at $500 shipped, price point was the deciding factor. Similar units by the other vendors were over $1000 for comparable units. So here we go... No fish tank shots I'm afraid, if you want those please contact Eddie at CADlights and tell him to please ship my tank lol..

Packaging: 10/10

All parts were totally secured and well packed. Short of gross abuse on the part of UPS, your unit will arrive in great condition. My unit includes both the hanging kit and mounting rails. It took four days to reach me from Hong Kong and Fish Streets customer service was excellent.

maxspect001.jpg

Build Quality: 9/10

The unit is solid (both lamp and ballast) constructed of solid brushed aluminum. Fit and finish is perfect and screws are color matched. I'm docking one point for the plastic layered clear top, whose purpose I have yet to discern. The "lamp side" has a well polished chrome surface that reflect light well

maxspect003.jpg

maxspect002.jpg

Features: 8/10

Independant controls and timers for 3W white, 30W white, and 3W blue. Temp monitor for lamp heat to auto shut down the fixture if it gets too hot. The single fan is quiet. Not "silent quiet", but comparable to what the fan on your PC makes in terms of noise. I am docking two point for lack of dimmability, which would have been nice.. If one is to control light output, it will be via hanging distance, and control over the 30w bulbs which are BRIGHT. The unit has 4 mini LED monnlights that are auto-on when primary lights are all off. they seem bright enough to do the job. I suspect that they are 1 watt leds.

Light Output: 9/10

With all lights on, this thing is bright as hell.. The LED's are not CREE, and their reliability is unknown, however I don't see what is stopping one from modding the unit and replacing independant bulbs down the road.

Close-Up. All lights on, dark room

maxspect004.jpg

Totally dark room, distant pic. Wall is approximately 12 feet from unit:

maxspect006.jpg

I will reserve the final verdict based upon continued usage, actual implementation over the tank, and realiability over time, but so far I am impressed...

The Cadlights Artisan is going to be my next tank. I'm considering this Maxspect or MH for my lighting. I will following closely to your build. Thanks for posting.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Archived