SaltCritters.com

Sicce Voyager 3 wavemaker powerheads

AZDesertRat

I picked up two of the new Sicce Voyager #3 powerheads to replace my Koralia K4's which replaced the Seio 1100's. I wanted something that would work with the wavemaker fuction on my Reefkeeper Lite and I think I found it!

First off the price is very competitive, some online vendors are as low as $60 each. As you can see by the pictures the size is about identical to the K4. Both are rated at 1200 GPH, the K4 claims 12 watts and the V3 claims 10 watts. In testing with a Kill A Watt meter the K4 is actually 14-15 watts and the V3 is 16 watts.

aquarium007.jpg

As you can see both have magnet mounts.

aquarium002.jpg

The outlet on the Voyagers is different in that it has holes and a rotating cover with three positions so you can change the flow rate and flow pattern by partially closing the holes. I have not experimented with this yet but I visited Skip and he showed me the different flows in a tank with some softies and the differences were pretty evident.

aquarium006.jpg

One of the things I really like is the Voyagers have more adjustability. The K4 is swiveled as far as it will go on its mount while the Voyager will turn 2 clicks further than I am showing it here, It will rotate to a full 90 degrees then even past to like 120 degrees.

aquarium008.jpg

So far I have the RKL wavemaker function set at 5 minute switchig intervals and I have yet to hear a click or noise when they start and stop. I forgot to snap a picture of the impeller but it is a straight design similar to a Maxijet powerhead so it does not matter if it runs in forward or reverse, the flow is the same.

I will post more including a pic of the impeller as I continue to evaluate the Voyagers. My first impression is they have a winner here!

They have been on 1 minute switching intervals for the past few days now and still no issues. I haven't heard so much as a twitch out of them.

• 1 year later...

updates? complaints? concerns?

im debating on a pair of voyager 4 or possibly a pair of the HP series for my big tank, then adding the new SICCE wavemaker.

AZDesertRat

Shortly after I posted this thread I switched to Koralia Evolutions 1400's. They are quite a bit smaller, have a better mounting system which does not fall off every time I touch one of them and best of all the Evo 1400 puts out more water for an honest 5-6 watts power consumption with the Kill A Watt meter. They have been switching every 30 seconds since early March 2010 so have over 3 million starts and stops on them and have been very good.

I did have an incident where they wanted to run backwards but Hydor sent me new front grilles and impellers and all is well.

Archived