SaltCritters.com

Vodka Dosing?!?!?!?

Derekcaudill

I have been reading a little on vodka dosing. Seems like quite a few people are doing it. Could someone please go into detail more about this for me. Why? Pros, cons? How much, how to start, etc....

Thanks Guys!!!

This is a good thread, but in all seriousness, vodka dosing is used to improve skimming. from what I understand you start out low and increase dosing to a certain amount, maintain that level for a bit then drop it an stop dosing. But I'm not sure, I don't dose personally.

If you have been reading a little you should read a lot and those questions would be answered. Do some searching on here and google.

So far this is the most negative response I have seen on this website, and I have been reading information here for about 4 months. Personally if you dont wanna help out just dont start in. There are many of people out here that are more than willing to give their own opinions and experiences happily. These are the people I look forward to hearing from unlike yourself. Thanks.

he did actually give you good advice, searching. with just a little more effort than starting a thread that has been made many times before you could find an over abundance on the subject.

and just like willyboy recommended, you will probably have better results on google. nano-reef doesnt have too many members that dose regularly. a good skimmer is needed, and most people that use good large skimmers, that can actually over-skim, have larger tanks.

dont be so quick to cast his response as negative.

So far this is the most negative response I have seen on this website, and I have been reading information here for about 4 months. Personally if you dont wanna help out just dont start in. There are many of people out here that are more than willing to give their own opinions and experiences happily. These are the people I look forward to hearing from unlike yourself. Thanks.

If that's the most negative response you have seen on these forums in 4 months you have not read very much at all. Pointing you to other sources and threads is helping you. There's no reason to start a thread when there's dozens asking the same questions you're asking.

I don't think he was trying to be negative. He just told you to read some more. You can probably find the answer to every possible question you have about it on this forum by running a search.

I just ran a search quickly for every thread that has "Vodka" in the title and it came up with 30 different threads....

kamikaze_fish

That was far from the most negative response on the site. Some of the most coveted members on here post far far worse responses. If you're familiar with vodka dosing, then you'll realize it's a very insightful post. Even more insightful than yours. If it's really an issue to you, you can click on the report button by the horrible terrible post you think it is. Then let the mods take it from there.

As for the OP, vodka dosing is very time consuming and the results are great but it's much like a strong medicine. You have to very gradually work up to the right amount for your environment and then you cannot miss a day or the problems can be pretty bad. When you decide you've had enough with the headache, then you have to very gradually ween your tank off of it. I would definitely recommend continuing to search this forum and others to get the right information. I think many reefers that consider it come to the same conclusion that the cons outweigh the benefits. If you are however looking for a pristine looking tank for something such as TOTM then it could be worth it. I wish I could help with more detail but after reading about it for a month, these were the conclusions I've come to. I don't recommend taking what I said and just dropping it. I'd recommend reading more and come to your own conclusion and if you do go for it, post here with your results. The more people that do something, the easier it can become and the more knowledge we'll all gain from it.

So far this is the most negative response I have seen on this website...

Then I'd say that your doing better than average.

The fact is that your opening post is vague and the parts that aren't vague have been answered in at least 100 other threads on this site alone. It is a waste of people's time to answer questions that have already been answered many times before.

Better to ask fairly some specific questions or lay out what you plan to do and ask for input.

A simple search followed by a little reading would answer the few common questions you put forth.

If you have been reading a little you should read a lot and those questions would be answered. Do some searching on here and google.

QFT

And if that is negative...

You need to go down to your local skin store and buy a thicker one.

He gave you good advice.

You really should know the reasons, rationales, the chemistry, and definitely what you are trying to accomplish before you dose anything in a tank full of corals, fish, and inverts.

Four months is nothing in this hobby. Honestly, you should take the next four months researching it. Before you decide yes or no.

There is a great article on it here. It provides all the background info as well as specific dosing guidelines.

BTW this method has consistently improved my skimmer performance. Fantastic stuff...

There is a great article on it here. It provides all the background info as well as specific dosing guidelines.

BTW this method has consistently improved my skimmer performance. Fantastic stuff...

THANK you acropora1981!! I appreciate your help.

clockwork john
I'd like to cordially invite you to the lounge. Dress nicely. Tie optional.

I recommend you skip the tie. Wearing one just gives the lounge rats something to hang you with.

Glennr1978 did some vodka dosing. You can always get his opinion as well.

Now off topic....wanna see a negative, jump down your throat attitude?

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...t&p=2690064

I've seen worse, but really?

There should be a thread of just negative, flame posts, ya know, stupid crud people have said.

Now THAT would be good.

back to Vodak dosing.....sorry

Archived