inTank Media Baskets

Aquatraders/Odyssea PC light

porksoda

Well I decided to bite the bullet and try them out. I was pretty low on funds at the time so the Odyssea fixture was just what I needed. It is the Odyssea 2x65W Power-Compact fixture. I have had it for about 1 month now and I think I like it. I know it is not the best fixture around but it gets the job done. But what do you expect for $50. lol

• 3 seperate power cords
  • Quiet
  • Cheap
  • Free bulbs
  • Fairly bright
  • Moon lights
  • Built-in Fans

Dislikes:

• Legs are kinda bulky
  • Bulbs are kinda low-end (need to be replaced)
  • Reflector is not the greatest

Ill get pictures later

• 1 month later...

I have owned that same fixture. I have had it for a little over a year and it is still plugging along. I did have one switch get loose on me, but the hubby fixed that in five minutes, so, no harm no foul.

The light grows softies mainly, as I prefer bullet proof tanks. My easy keeper corals (three different types of Xenia, Singulara, tons of shrooms, polyps, Zoos, Toadstools and finger leather corals are growing very well, and my fricken pink Kenya tree won't stop dropping babies, literally. Kenya everywhere.

I have had luck with only one LPS, a frogspawn. I think all the softies in my tank make it hard for the frog to compete or something. I may lose my Fox coral, the only other LPS in my tank. But that's less about light then something irritating it. It doesn't open right. I guess they are sensitive corals.

Oh btw...I have a Tort stony coral. It's color is brown...BUT IT IS GROWING. ...Slowly. I did have two small frags of birdsnest. They grew like crazy as well and doubled in size, but they had a strange color to them, almost like they were bleaching. I know my organics in the water are very high. I have a lot of damsels in the tank and I feed flake food everyday. I am not buying any more stony corals. I can't rule out the possibility the light had something to do with the death of the birdsnests, though I am sure it was water quality.

My tank is a "war of the softies" tank, I am trying to leave things be and let the tank overgrow and the corals regulate themselves. I have run out of room. There is a tiny spot I could add one more tiny shroom rock. MAYBE!

This is a decent light for what you pay. The stock bulbs aren't all that great though. I switched to Hamilton PC bulbs and I did notice a growth rate increase. This hasn't actually been of help to me, as it made me run out of room faster. >.>

Anyway, two thumbs up on this light for softies. Should be okay for frogspawn LPS and maybe some other easier LPS. Donno about fox corals though.

Well I totally forgot about this thread lol.

I have some pictures to post up. Even some new mods!

Previous legs. These bulky legs seemed to block light and they just took up too much room.

P2191549.jpg

New Coralife legs. They fit just like they fit the Coralife fixtures. I like this much more then those bulky legs.

These are the legs I bought: Coralife black aqualight mounting legs

2010-03-26112756.jpg

2010-03-26112731.jpg

Oh really?! Where do you buy those??

You can buy UVL PC-R's from MarineDepot.com/UVL_PC-R's or reefgeek.com/PC_bulbs.

The UVL are really nice because like stated above they have built in internal reflectors. They have really nice colors too! They are the only place that offers a 14K PC bulb aka 75-25. I hear that's a great bulbs!

uvl_2.jpg

Other bulbs to look into that are really good are Current USA SunPaq's.

If you get the SunPaq Dual Daylight 6700ºK/10000ºK 65W and SunPaq Dual Actinic

420/460nm 65W its like having 4 different spectrum's over your tank. Its almost like a T5 set-up. Similar.

CurrentUSA Sunpaq bulbs

lights2.jpg

Sorry for the crappy pictures lol. Those are the best I could find.

My plan is to replace soon with either UVL or Current bulbs.

I keep buying things for my pico so I keep forgetting haha.

Thanks for the picture!! I need those bulbs for sure. It's going to be tough to get them in Canada though. My friend that lets me ship to her house in the USA moved. >.< So can't mooch off her address anymore. Gonna check and see if I can find some locally. Thanks again!

Drool turned into a puddle, gonna go get a mop, lol. :D

I finally bit the bullet and ordered Saturday! I ordered the Current USA dual daylight and dual actinic.

Ill give them a try before they are no longer made anymore.

Ill post up pictures later when they come in.

My bulbs came in today!

I purchased Current USA Dual bulbs from Foster and Smiths.

Wow! Its like a world of difference! The colors in the tank looks amazing now!

I will get pictures when I get my camera.

• 1 month later...
My bulbs came in today!

I purchased Current USA Dual bulbs from Foster and Smiths.

Wow! Its like a world of difference! The colors in the tank looks amazing now!

I will get pictures when I get my camera.

They are THE greatest PC bulbs in my opinion. Awesome array of colors.

• 3 weeks later...
carbon-mantis

Anyone who has purchased the light fixtures in the last few months, how quiet are the built-in cooling fans?

I purchased a PC fixture from them a few years ago, worked well enough, but the fans are/were noisy as hell.

Mine are very quiet!

I have even wondered if there were any in there so I popped the vents off and up there are some there working. lol

Archived