inTank Media Baskets

Do I need Pods with Chaeto?

RobDMB

This is likely a newbie question, but I'm looking to get a refugium with chaeto set up in my NC12 gallon aquarium. I was wondering if it would be wise to purchase pods in connection with the refugium. If so, where do I purchase pods? Are there different types etc? Thanks.

OClownsandNanos

If you can get your hands on a ball of chaeto from another reefer's tank usually there are pods already in it. I'd suggest you get the chaeto (whether from a reefer or LFS), then see if you get an explosion of pods a few days later. If not, you can buy pods separately. When I got some chaeto from a local club member, it came with all kinds of pods and mini brittle stars too. So see what you get and then add if you need to. There are definitely places online that sell pods, but I'd rather not buy them if I can get them free. :)

(edited to add: If you are using the chaeto exclusively for nutrient export, then no, you don't need pods. It's nice to have pods because of diversity, but you would only "need" them in a fuge if you are trying to grow pods to supply them to your fish.)

I purchased a CPR aquafuge from someone local. However, I didn't find any pods in the fuge, but there a ton of copepods in my display tank. They multiply fast and almost covered my tank wall. No fish in my tank, so it's copepod heaven.

Anyone selling or giving away chaeto in Northern Virginia? I'm near Fairfax. Just followed El Fab's great AC 70 Filter Mod guide and need some macro. None of the LFS have any in stock. Thanks!

Pods will come from your lr or anything live you bought. They will just appear so no need to buy them and waste $20. Patience is key in reef so just sit back and you'll start to notice them crawling around after a couple of weeks.

Archived