Pod Your Reef

Aquatraders HOB skimmer/fuge.

nanoty

Continuation from my Aquatraders light review. I placed this order the same day and had it 3 working days later, very fast.

I won't do a like/dislike list like the light but would like to just share a couple thoughts. Again, this equipment is not up and running so the review is only based on opinion as of so far. The fuge arrived very well packaged, double boxed with packing peanuts between boxes. Absolutely no damage to it.

The first thing I noticed was the lack of instructions. A quick email to Aquatraders and I had a set of dummy instructions (pictures) emailed to me. The fuge itself looks very well built at a glance although some of parts like the spacer screws look a little cheap like you would expect.

Everything went together well except one problem. The skimmer cup would not fit as it is supposed to. The cup itself is supposed to have a large o-ring put around it and that is what actually holds it in place on top of the skimmer section. My skimmer cup or o-ring is too small and it slips down too far. I emailed them back about a solution but haven't heard back. I will update when I do.

To be honest I didn't really plan on using the skimmer but I might want to modify it to try.

All in all I am happy with the purchase. It will give me tons or room (the one I got is 2 feet wide) for a fuge on my temporary holding tank since it is temporary and cannot be drilled.

I'll try to get some pics and some more info when it's up and running.

so did you order the pump they recommended or are you trying a different pump like a max-jet or something

oohh yea and pics or your lieing lol

Actually the pump they recommended was out of stock so I ordered the next size up. That was another thing. There isn't really a way to attach it to the intake so I'll have to figure something out. I might still use one of my MJs instead. We'll see.

Hey Ty,

I have 2 of these running - the 14" on my 20H, and the 24" on my 20L. The skimmer cups actually sit down in the cubicle, and the screw (should have been provided) on the side holds it where you need it if it is still loose. I have found that the collection cups need to be about 1/4" below the water line in the skimmer chamber (usually) for a moderately wet skimmate. I have the stock pumps they sell for them, and they are OK - just too big and bulky really, but not that loud surprisingly. I am thinking of upgrading to the RIO 600 or 800 RVT's (rejuvenation venturi) however because they are smaller and would push more air probably. I also painted the side facing the tank black (like CPR's use black panels) to reduce light spillage.

All in all, for the price these are actually quite good - I am emptying the collection cups every other day or so, and the skimmate looks like tea - not very dark, but maybe if I raised the cup it would be darker. With a full-spectrum spiral CF over the rest I am also getting great chaeto growth.

Hope this helps...and one more thing - be careful not to overtighten the plumbing or you may crack it! :angry:

Hey Ty,

I have 2 of these running - the 14" on my 20H, and the 24" on my 20L. The skimmer cups actually sit down in the cubicle, and the screw (should have been provided) on the side holds it where you need it if it is still loose. I have found that the collection cups need to be about 1/4" below the water line in the skimmer chamber (usually) for a moderately wet skimmate. I have the stock pumps they sell for them, and they are OK - just too big and bulky really, but not that loud surprisingly. I am thinking of upgrading to the RIO 600 or 800 RVT's (rejuvenation venturi) however because they are smaller and would push more air probably. I also painted the side facing the tank black (like CPR's use black panels) to reduce light spillage.

All in all, for the price these are actually quite good - I am emptying the collection cups every other day or so, and the skimmate looks like tea - not very dark, but maybe if I raised the cup it would be darker. With a full-spectrum spiral CF over the rest I am also getting great chaeto growth.

Hope this helps...and one more thing - be careful not to overtighten the plumbing or you may crack it! :angry:

Thanks for the suggestions. I honestly wasn't even planning on using the skimmer but if I can get it to work then that is cool too. I'll be setting it up in the next few days.

Archived