Innovative Marine Aquariums

Aquatraders T5 light......

nanoty

Purchased the 48" four bulb T5 from Aquatraders last Thursday and to my suprise it was at my door this afternoon when I got home. I was happy to see they still package well and everything was double boxed, wrapped (including the bulbs) and arrived unharmed. I have only run the light to check them but I'll post my likes and dislikes so far:

- cheap, obviously at $100 I wasn't expecting top notch quality but since it is a temporary light I was willing to try it

- bright, seems to be nice and bright and even with the free bulbs it comes out with a hint of blue

- separate power cords for the actinics, 12k and led night lights

- housing, very nice and sleek looking

- did I mention cheap?

Dislikes:

- legs, I think they need to be redesigned since they seem bulky yet flimsy

- reflector, not the best but it was $100

- I really don't like the legs

This is actually the second Aquatraders light I've owned. The first is a PC light and is still on the wife's pico and doing great. Same huge legs but is nice and bright and growing corals.

I wish I had a PAR meter to check this light against my Icecap retro but alas I really have no need for one so unless someone wants to bring one over or I can steal one from the college it's not going to happen.

There is my 2 cents on the subject.

sweet i cant wait to see how it does over time because im planning on ordering their 36in T5 light once it gets back in stock

one question could you get a picture of the reflectors id love to see how they look and cant really tell from the pics on aquatraders site

sweet i cant wait to see how it does over time because im planning on ordering their 36in T5 light once it gets back in stock

one question could you get a picture of the reflectors id love to see how they look and cant really tell from the pics on aquatraders site

It is similar to the Sundial reflector in the sense that it is all one reflector with a contour instead of individual reflectors and it is only one contour so two bulbs are in the same "reflector" together. I'll try and get some pics.

I suppose you could put individual reflectors but meh.

I really wanted to get one of these bc of the price. I spent double and got a four bulb nova extreme. Post some pictures, the ones on the website are not very good.

i have the aquatraders 380w MH system and have been very happy with it.Im getting a phoenix 14 bulb in tomorrow,but i have been impressed by the stock light.

I really wanted to get one of these bc of the price. I spent double and got a four bulb nova extreme. Post some pictures, the ones on the website are not very good.

Will soon. Unfortunately I have wood paneling in the room its in so they will probably be hard to see.

I have the aquatraders 4 bulb 24" t5ho on my 15g, I've switched out the bulbs.

-Front-

UV Super Actinic

Aqua-science blue 22000k

KZ Fiji Purple

Giesemann Actinic+

-Back-

This is on a mixed reef ( lps, sps in the top half, mushrooms and zoanthids all over and a plate coral and derasa clam on the sand bed)

The tank is shallow with it only being 12" deep and the light is mabye 3 inches of the surface of the water.

• 2 weeks later...
callmesaul8889

im not sure if these same legs are used for the 36" HQI fixture, but what i did was used gorilla glue to secure the metal piece to the plastic leg, then used longer screws to snug the leg onto the fixture. i'll see if i can get a picture sometime, it made the legs much more stable on my fixture.

• 4 weeks later...

I am watching this thread, please update soon if you can. I really want this fixture but I won't bother if it's not going to be much better then my 2 X 65watt PC Odyssea fixture I already have due to crappy reflectors...

I am watching this thread, please update soon if you can. I really want this fixture but I won't bother if it's not going to be much better then my 2 X 65watt PC Odyssea fixture I already have due to crappy reflectors...

Sorry, haven't really been following the thread. So far I would say the light is worth the money. I don't really have any complaints other than the legs and the fact that the light gets pretty hot. If it were going on a display tank I would fork out for a better light but if I was on a budget or just needed a decent temporary light (like I did) I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one.

See if I can get some pics.

Archived