ReefCleaners.org

red scooter blenny

aggiereefer

My parent's recently just put a red scooter blenny in their nano. After researching, I told them to return the fish, but the LFS wouldnt give a refund. SOOO i have been appointed caretaker of the blenny.

Ive read they take brine, mysis, and can be trained to take pellets. I know that the food should be soaked in selcon or something along those lines.

My question is how much do brine do I feed? Is it a trial and error process? He is the only fish in the tank so he doesnt have to compete with any others to get food. I've never delt with frozen brine before. Do I just drop a little frozen chunk in the water or what?

keep in mind, i did try to get the fish returned so dont flame me too bad. I am stuck with the fish. thanks for the help

You need to thaw the frozen food in a bit of tank water before feeding. Just shave a bit off the cube and thaw, then drop it in the tank. How's your clean up crew? It may take a bit to get the scooter to eat and you don't want leftover food floating around the tank. That's just asking for an algae bloom. If you have a decent clean up crew, they'll eat whatever the fish doesn't.

Try frozen formula one or frozen krill too And you may want to drop a little garlic extract on the food to see if that tempts it to eat. Sometimes it does.

there are 10 snails in their tank right now, 3 astrea's, 4 nass's and 3 bumblebee's

i think any leftover food will be taken care of by the nass's and the bee's. Thanks for the help.

I feed my red scooter around 5-7 pieces food at any one time (worms, shrimp, or pellets)...I feed mine 3 times a day. Scooters don't really eat allot of food at any one time, but pick at it throughout the day, so thats why I feed a little bit at a time. If I was just to place like 20 pieces in all at once, then it would just end up getting eaten by the worms and snails instead of the scooter.

When I first got my red scooter, I used a turkeybaster and spot fed him one brine at a time, if he didn't put it in his mouth, then I would suck it back up and try again...He only ate maybe 5 pieces a day. A few days after that I got some bloodworms and he liked those allot more than the brine. After that I ordered small size PE Mysis and he liked those allot to...Regular adult mysis were too big for him. Sometimes he would tear the big ones up like a dog though.

Took about two months or so to get my red scooter to eat pellet foods...mine has never really eaten frozen formula foods or flakes or cyclop-eeze.

well ive tried a variety foods today. I bought some "brine shrimp plus" and that didnt work. Next I tried mysis. I think he may have ate a few but they are pretty large. After consulting with the LFS, he recommended cyclop-eeze,the most expensive option (of course), BUT it does seem to work. The stuff is really small and looks similar to the copepod's he eats in my tank.

He doesnt immediately go after stuff when i shoot it at him with a turkey baster. My nass snails go nuts whenever they catch the scent of food in the water. I just wanna make sure the little guy is getting enough to eat.

• 2 weeks later...

i feed the scooter frozen mysis now twice a day. I think he's getting enough to eat. Does anyone know if frozen foods normally come enriched with vitamins?

Archived